Inability to add bibliography and numbered citations- X9, Mac OS and MS word 2016; ver 16.17

Hello,

I am struggling to get the required output style (numbered supercript, NEJM) in my work despite ensuring that output style is correct and instant formatting is on).

I am persistently getting references as non-numbered, seen as {Marcus, 2010 #15} and bibliography at the bottom of word document is not showing up.

Few things i read and tried:

The instant formatting is on

Updated my cite while you write,

updating and going back to previous verion of MS word,

Uninstalling both endnote and MS office, restarting and reinstalling

Will really appreciate some help. Thanks

1 Like

Please contact Technical Support directly

1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1

or

https://endnote.com/contact/

We are here to help whenever you run into issues.

Trensofty uses windows 10 pro and word 2016 (O.S. with 64 Bit) but I hope I can help you for this problem.

With all versions of Endnote, it is important to install at first Word (here Word 2016 for Mac) and then EN X9.

In program files please click Configure Endnote/welcome to the EN configuration /Configure EN components.

Restart your computer.

I post an attachment with numbered references on Word 2016. I think that you want such a numbering of your references (Nr. 27-17-18).

In order to obtain the numbering , please follow these steps:

• Select NEJM in Output Styles/Open this style (very small black arrow/click it)

• You ´ll obtain a box like in attachment 10-46-33. You can see Numbered.Click Numbered.

-From Word go to EN X9 and select your references (see 21-17-57)

-Go to Word again and click insert selected citations in Citations.

You must see the same as in my attachment 27-17-18.

Here the attachments

Dear Tony, 

Here a copy of my post to this problem:

Trensofty uses windows 10 pro and word 2016 (O.S. with 64 Bit) but I hope I can help you for this problem.

With all versions of Endnote, it is important to install at first Word (here Word 2016 for Mac) and then EN X9.

In program files please click Configure Endnote/welcome to the EN configuration /Configure EN components.

Restart your computer.

I post an attachment with numbered references on Word 2016. I think that you want such a numbering of your references (Nr. 27-17-18).

In order to obtain the numbering , please follow these steps:

• Select NEJM in Output Styles/Open this style (very small black arrow/click it)

• You ´ll obtain a box like in attachment 10-46-33. You can see Numbered.Click Numbered.

-From Word go to EN X9 and select your references (see 21-17-57)

-Go to Word again and click insert selected citations in Citations.

You must see the same as in my attachment 27-17-18.

@pnagpal wrote:

I am struggling to get the required output style (numbered supercript, NEJM) in my work despite ensuring that output style is correct and instant formatting is on).

I am persistently getting references as non-numbered, seen as {Marcus, 2010 #15} and bibliography at the bottom of word document is not showing up.

I’m having the exact same problem, with almost the exact same setup: EndNote X9, recently installed; MS Word for Mac 2016 (16.16.5), installed before EndNote; macOS 10.14.1.

In the MS Word CWYW plugin, Instant Formatting is on, and toggling it makes no difference (whether before or after citations are added). I can open documents others have created using EndNote, and their citations show up as formatted, but when I add my own, they are persistently unformatted.

Additionally:

I also cannot edit the appearance of the existing citations: it recognises if I change the output formatting from Default to, say, Author (Year), in that the context menu is updated to show Author (Year), but actual formatting on the page does not change, regardless of whether it’s an existing, formatted citation or one of my own, unformatted ones.

In fact, toggling Instant Formatting has no effect on anything at all , ever. Existing, formatted citations remain formatted when I turn it off, and my own, unformatted citations remain unformatted when I turn it on. Turning it off has no visible effect; turning it on appears to reformat the bibliography for about five or ten seconds, then has no visible effect.

@pnagpal, can you confirm whether these latter two problems also apply to your situation? Are you able to see formatted citations in older documents, but adding new citations creates unformatted ones? Are you able to edit or update the appearance of any citations? Does toggling Instant Formatting have any effect on any citations at all?

In case others see this and have the same problem, technical support gave me a few things to check, one of which turned out to be the culprit:

Starting with recent versions of macOS, the EndNote Cite While You Write plugin needs to have permission from the OS for automated interaction with MS Word. If it does not, it exhibits precisely the symptoms I described above: inability to edit existing citations at all, and also format new citations.

To fix this, do the following:

• Open System Preferences (click on the  menu in the top left corner of the screen and choose “System Preferences”)
  • Go to  Security & Privacy settings (in the top row)
  • Click on the  Privacy tab
  • Scroll down to and select  Automation in the list on the left
  • Find the header EndNote X9 in the list of applications on the right
  • Make sure Microsoft Word  in the list of applications under the EndNote X9 header has a tick

This immediately fixed the issue for me. If this doesn’t work for you, try restarting Word and EndNote as a first workaround.

1 Like