Inability to add bibliography and numbered citations- X9, Mac OS and MS word 2016; ver 16.17

@pnagpal wrote:

I am struggling to get the required output style (numbered supercript, NEJM) in my work despite ensuring that output style is correct and instant formatting is on).

I am persistently getting references as non-numbered, seen as {Marcus, 2010 #15} and bibliography at the bottom of word document is not showing up.

I’m having the exact same problem, with almost the exact same setup: EndNote X9, recently installed; MS Word for Mac 2016 (16.16.5), installed before EndNote; macOS 10.14.1.

In the MS Word CWYW plugin, Instant Formatting is on, and toggling it makes no difference (whether before or after citations are added). I can open documents others have created using EndNote, and their citations show up as formatted, but when I add my own, they are persistently unformatted.

Additionally:

I also cannot edit the appearance of the existing citations: it recognises if I change the output formatting from Default to, say, Author (Year), in that the context menu is updated to show Author (Year), but actual formatting on the page does not change, regardless of whether it’s an existing, formatted citation or one of my own, unformatted ones.

In fact, toggling Instant Formatting has no effect on anything at all , ever. Existing, formatted citations remain formatted when I turn it off, and my own, unformatted citations remain unformatted when I turn it on. Turning it off has no visible effect; turning it on appears to reformat the bibliography for about five or ten seconds, then has no visible effect.

@pnagpal, can you confirm whether these latter two problems also apply to your situation? Are you able to see formatted citations in older documents, but adding new citations creates unformatted ones? Are you able to edit or update the appearance of any citations? Does toggling Instant Formatting have any effect on any citations at all?