Incorrect in-text citation style

Hi Endnote friends!

I’m having an issue with my in-text citations in APA 6th format. For some reason, some of the references are listed (1st Author et al., Year) and other are listed as (1st Author, 2nd Author, 3rd Author, Year).

Why is this happening and how do I make it stop? Help please!

EndNote can format your references in the APA 6th format. The style was created using the APA 6th manual.

Here is some information on the handling of in-text citations.
A Work by Two Authors: Name both authors in the signal phrase or in parentheses each time you cite the work. Use the word “and” between the authors’ names within the text and use the ampersand in parentheses.
Research by Wegener and Petty (1994) supports…
(Wegener & Petty, 1994)

A Work by Three to Five Authors: List all the authors in the signal phrase or in parentheses the first time you cite the source. Use the word “and” between the authors’ names within the text and use the ampersand in parentheses.
(Kernis, Cornell, Sun, Berry, & Harlow, 1993)

In subsequent citations, only use the first author’s last name followed by “et al.” in the signal phrase or in parentheses.
(Kernis et al., 1993)
In et al., et should not be followed by a period.

Six or More Authors: Use the first author’s name followed by et al. in the signal phrase or in parentheses.
Harris et al. (2001) argued…
(Harris et al., 2001)

So the format of the in-text citations will depend on how many authors are in the reference and whether it is the first time you are using that reference in the document or a subsequent appearance of that reference.

Please contact Technical Support directly if you have any additional questions.

1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1

or

https://endnote.com/contact/

We are here to help whenever you run into issues.