Keeping the case of &c ... not as easy as it might seem. Any solutions, or is it a bug?

I have many references from late 19th century and early 20th century journals which have an unfortunate habit of using the term “&c” instead of the more modern “etc”. Trouble is that Endnote 7.4 on OSX renders this as “&C” – note the capital “C”. Since there is no particular reason why Endnote should be capitalising the c, I think this must be a bug.

Obvious solution is to go to preferences/change case and exclude it there, but that doesn’t work.

Anyone have a solution, or shall I report it?

Andrew

@anherd wrote:

I have many references from late 19th century and early 20th century journals which have an unfortunate habit of using the term “&c” …

Obvious solution is to go to preferences/change case and exclude it there, but that doesn’t work.

Just a clarification - when you use Endnote’s “Change Case” feature you are i ncluding the given term to be specified in a particular way. So the Change Case entry in your case is: &c

Yep, I have it added as '&c" and '&c."

It might be a bug to report but another thing or workaround to try is to include the information in MS Word’s Auto Correct setting:

1. Select File > Options (located beneath Help).
  2. In the Word Options dialog box, select Proofing. Then click the AutoCorrect Options button.
  3. In the AutoCorrect dialog box, enter “&c” and “&c” in the Replace and With boxes, respectively. (Maybe also include “&c.” and “&c.” as well.) Click the Add button then OK to exit. (Refer to attached image.)

Now that will definitely work, good idea. But I will bug it.