Legal Citations Troubles

Dear endnote community,

I recently bought endnote in order to write my thesis (I am law student in Italy). Thanks to several issues solved in this forum I’ve swiftly reached a good endnote familiarity. 

1. That said, I couldn’t find a way to solve this problem: in my work, both Cases and Books are cited. Now, I’d like to have them in separate bibliographies at the end of the document (i.e. at the end of each chapter), with one having “bibliography” as inscription (as it has now) and the other bibliography saying “Cases” on its top. I mean: I don’t want Cases mixed up with Books, for they are different elements. Is there any way to achive this?

2)Another question came to my mind, while writing now: I’ll need an index of authors at the end of my thesis. Is there any way that i can make this kind of solo bibliography apart of re-inserting all the citations used in my chapters?

I’ll add two images showing 1) and 2).

Sorry for my english, dont know whether I wrote everything correctly.

And thanks!

1. Separate bibliographies by reference type.

Endnote X7 has a feature called “Categorize References” which enables grouping references by the reference type (e.g., Cases, Books) and create separate bibliographies with custom headings (e.g.,Cases, Bibliography). This creates assorted headers for each group with the corresponding references for each group listed beneath each header. (Refer to attached image #1 for output result.)

It’s easy to categorize references and create custom headers by modifying your Endnote output style’s “Categories” section (refer to attached image #2 ). [To modify the output style go to the Endnote toolbar and select Edit >Output Styles >Edit (name of your output style). When the output style’s dialog box pops-up click the “Categories” section. Type the header name, press Enter to go to the next line, then click the “Insert Reference type” pull down menu and select the reference type “Cases”. Repeat to create the header name “Bibliography” and select the reference type “Books”.]

For further information on categorizing references refer to: this Endnote training handout, this knowledge base article, and the online manual which is available in the Endnote toolbar under “Help”.

2. Author index

Usually, an author index is just a listing of all the authors (by name only) whose references were cited in a document. From your attached image it looks like you want to generate a second bibliography as your example includes the complete reference bibliography – which is different from generating just a list of author names.

If, however, it’s your intent to generate a second bibliography (without inserting citations) probably the quickest/easiest method is to create an independent reference list that can be copied and pasted. Select the references from your Endnote library, hold the control key CTRL (Windows) then drag the references into an MS Word blank document. The list of references will be displayed and can be copied and pasted into the appropriate location of your primary document. Just note that the drawback of using an independent reference list is that there won’t be any Endnote field codes so the list can’t be updated.

For further information about creating multiple bibliographies refer to the Endnote training video “Multiple Bibliographies”. Also refer to the manual by going to the Endnote toolbar and selecting Help then searching for “creating multiple bibliographies”.

image #3_exporting author names.gif

Simply perfect. Thank you so much!