List all authors instead of et al.

Good afternoon. Please help :cry:

I am using EndNotes X3 and unfortunately the references are not standardized in my reference list. For example:

Ref 1: Jamal, A., et al., Global cancer statistics…

Ref 2: Horner, M, R.L. Krapcho M, Neyman N, Aminou R, (plus 10 other references - all listed)

The journal I am submitting to wants all authors listed (up to 30) before using et al.

Please advise as to what I need to do in EndNotes to ensure all the authors are listed in the paper. Thank you.

Modify your EndNote output style file so the “Abbreviated Author List” setting is changed to: List all author names.

To modify the output style:

1. Go to the EndNote toolbar, select EDIT, OUTPUT STYLES, EDIT [Name of the style you’re using]. This will cause the output style’s dialog box to appear on screen.

2. In the output style’s left column locate the Bibliograhy section then click to select: Author Lists. Then on the right-side under Abbreviated Author List click to selectt: List all author names.  [Refer to attached image] *Note: If you have more than 30 authors but want to list just the first 30 and abbreviate with et al., change the setting below to: If 30 or more authors, list the first 30 author(s).

3. Close the output style which will save the changes to a new file having the word “Copy” added to the file name. Change both EndNote and MS Word to use the new output file.
    Output Style_List all author names.gif

Hello,

(and sorry I had to dig up this old thread)

I tried to change the number of listed authors according to the suggested solution. Unfortunately, I doesn’t work.

Based on the style “Numbered”, I altered the output style to display all authors and saved it to “Numbered Copy” (no other changes). Thereafter I applied the style in Endnote and in Word and updated my citations and bibliography. This hadn’t any effect at all. Still only one author listed.

I tried it with Endnote X7 v17.4 / Word 2010 (Windows) and Endnote X6 v6.0.1 / Word 2011 (Mac). Both times the same problem. Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks for the help!

@clausmd wrote:

I tried to change the number of listed authors according to the suggested solution. Unfortunately, I doesn’t work.

Based on the style “Numbered”, I altered the output style to display all authors and saved it to “Numbered Copy” (no other changes). Thereafter I applied the style in Endnote and in Word and updated my citations and bibliography. This hadn’t any effect at all. Still only one author listed.

Could you attach your output style  file?

Thank you for your reply! I attached the output style file to this post.
Numbered Copy.ens (15.9 KB)

Once more, the problem was sitting in front of the computer.

I made the changes in the “Citations” section instead of the “Bibliography” section. No wonder it wouldn’t work…

1 Like

Thank you!

Did you finally solve the problem?

[SOLVED]

Hi all,
Not sure if anyone needs this still but I seem to have cracked the problem:

REPEAT OF THE ORIGINAL SOLUTION - READ ALL PLEASE

1. First open your endnote library that contains all the references that you wish to change.

2. Go to Edit (on Endnote) and then go to OUTPUT STYLES and then click on EDIT (the reference type you have chosen)

3. Upon step 2, a new window will pop up which will have a left side panel within which you will have to click on BIBLIOGRAPHY and then under that list click on AUTHOR LISTS. From this new window on the right side panel, under Abbreviated Author List tab, click on LIST ALL AUTHOR NAMES

4. Close the window and a pop up will appear where you have to click “SAVE” and rename the style name to [STYLE NAME - COPY]

THIS IS THE PART BELOW THAT YOU NEED TO FOLLOW THROUGH - 

1. Now you will have to go back to your word document and then click on REFERENCE TYPE and from the drop down menu choose the new saved style which was STYLE NAME - COPY

2. Upon step 5, the bibliography list should automatically update. If not, then click on UPDATE BIBLIOGRAPHY AND CITATIONS.

-----------END----------

I AM FACING A SIMILAR PROBLEM,

DESPITE UPDATING MY BIBLIOGRAPHY THE PROBLEM STILL PERSIT. ALL SECOND AUTHORS ARE ABBREVIATED

KINDLY HELP

Hi there,

I have a new problem with the author list for APA 7 Sylte. When there are more than 20 authors, APA 7 requires us to list the first 19, then add “…” then the name of the last author.

Example reference for an article with more than 20 authors

Wiskunde, B., Arslan, M., Fischer, P., Nowak, L., Van den Berg, O., Coetzee, L., Juárez, U., Riyaziyyat, E., Wang, C., Zhang, I., Li, P., Yang, R., Kumar, B., Xu, A., Martinez, R., McIntosh, V., Ibáñez, L. M., Mäkinen, G., Virtanen, E., . . . Kovács, A. (2019). Indie pop rocks mathematics: Twenty One Pilots, Nicolas Bourbaki, and the empty set. Journal of Improbable Mathematics, 27(1), 1935–1968.

I can’t find a way in Endnote style manager to achieve this. Could anyone help?

My problem is that some end note references in the exported file show the requested # of authors, but other references only show the first author and then add et al. , even though there are more authors listed on the reference itself in the author field in the database.  I am suspecting this might be due to how different references were originally imported into end note because I can’t figure out why some exported refs follow the style and others don’t…

well, not sure, but nothing is actually working and I have edited styles before.  This one isn’t even an edited style but an original style so I don’t know what’s going on…  

I had this problem, but in my case I had to go all through all settings, the thing is collapsing author lists appears in many sections of settings: footnotes, citations (that’s where I had to make a change), etc.