Make et al, no list of authors

Hello,

I use Word365 with endnote in word citation style AJPA. And suddenly some authors are cited as XX et al, year, and some are xxx, yyy, zzz, year.  (Oakberg, 1956; Russell, Ettlin, Hikim, & Clegg, 1993) X (Matson et al., 2010).

What should I do to have et al? I can´t find it in word column Endnote, neither in Endnote online.

Thank you for your advice.

Martina

AJPA  is what journal and where did you get the output style?  I don’t see one in the endnote output styles lists with that abbreviation.  

Assuming it is American Journal of Physical Anthropology format, that journal uses apa citation style (according to the Wiley pages).

In Endnote, I see APA is set in citation settings to

“if 6 or more authors, list the first 1 authors et al”

and subsequent settings to

“if 3 or more list first 1 et al.”

so four authors would show up under the first but not subsequent cites for that reference.  

This is in accordance with the author guidelines here: 

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/page/journal/10968644/homepage/forauthors.html#_4._PREPARING_THE 

_ References _

As of 2017, the references of the journal should be prepared according to the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA) (6th edition). This means in text citations should follow the author-date method whereby the author’s last name and the year of publication for the source should appear in the text, for example, (Jones, 1998). Use of et al. is determined by the number of authors and whether it is the first time a reference has been cited in the paper. Specifically, articles with one or two authors include all names in every in-text citation; articles with three, four, or five authors include all names in the first in-text citation but are abbreviated to the first author name plus et al. upon subsequent citations; and articles with six or more authors are abbreviated to the first author name plus et al. for all in-text citations.

The complete reference list should appear alphabetically by name at the end of the paper. Please note that for journal articles, issue numbers are not included unless each issue in the volume begins with page 1, and a DOI should be provided for all references where available. For more information about APA referencing style, please refer to the APA FAQ.