04-02-2015 12:32 PM
I've just updated the citations and bibliography to the latest draft my PhD thesis. I'm running EndNote X7 with Word 2007 and Windows 8.1.
I'm not aware that I've made any major changes to the EndNote library other than tweaking a few references and adding some others - I certainly haven't changed any settings or preferences. However, I've noticed that where I have multiple works by the same author in the same year, instead of listing as (2004a) (2004b) they're now listed in an odd order, both in the in-text references and in the bibliography.
In one case it lists the references as (2004a) (2004c) (2004e) and in another (2000a) (2000m). In one case it's even gone from (1992a) to (1992c) even though there are only two references by that author in the EndNote Library.
I've also noticed that website URLs are now being displayed as hyperlinks whereas previously they were just plain text.
As I said, I haven't changed any settings but there was a recent update for X7 if that's relevant.
Any ideas how to resolve this?
04-02-2015 12:46 PM
First, make sure that (in Word) the Endnote Ribbon is displaying the output style you expect. If it isn't, point back to your preferred output style. (this could affect the ordering of citations in a group). Updating endnote -updates the installed set of styles. I keep my preferred styles as "save as" versions with a slightly different name, and then they don't get replaced with an update (they live in a different place on your computer). Never edit a "out of the box" style and save as the same name or endnote usually uses the orginal (in the program folder) rather than your version (in your styles folder default defined location in preferences).
Do you use the share or cloud back-up and multiple computers to input the citations? It may be that they have different versions of the same citation. Check your preferences in endnote to make sure you "resolve duplicates" in the CWYW settings.
You can also save your document to a new name, (keeping the old one as a backup) and convert citations to temporary citations, then back to formated citations. -- Do some come up to check? -- often changing a record or using multiple versions of a library might "disconnect" the record from a specific citation. Reassociating it to the right entry in the library should fix it.
Hyperlink conversions might be a word setting, check your options for handling hyperlinks there.
04-02-2015 01:41 PM
thanks. I've checked and nothing seems unusual - it's the same output style as before (APA 6th) and I've never tried to customise styles or make changes to EndNote so as far as I know I'm using the default version of X7 as supplied plus any updates.
I only use the version of EndNote on my laptop and don't share the library with any other computers, clouds, etc. so I don't think there should be any conflicts of that sort.
I think I can turn Hyperlinks off in Word so that's fine but I'm not sure how to do the third option - in the Endnote ribbon in Word, under 'Convert Citations and Bibliography' there's an option to Convert to Unformatted Citations if that's it - will I then have the option to convert back to formatted?
I've looked through the library again and in several cases there are only two references to works by the same author in the same year so it's odd that it's using the suffixes 'c' 'e' 'm' etc rather than just 'a' and 'b'
04-02-2015 01:54 PM
Yes, you will then update bibliography setting just above the convert opiton on the ribbon. (you can also make sure Instant formating is back on). See the attached image.
04-02-2015 05:30 PM
I've tried that but it doesn't seem to have worked - I still have the odd suffixes for multiple works by the same author in the same year
04-03-2015 12:31 PM - edited 04-03-2015 01:18 PM
as posted on the other thread... just got the update message today so I skipped it and formatted a document in 7.2 -- document was the expected 1998a, 1998b and 1998c-- updated to 7.3 and yep -- in a library with only 3 records I constructed, when I updated the bibliography, I got 1998a, 1998c and 1998e as the years for APA 6th output style. Not sure if it is the style or endnote yet. will play around a bit more.
(P.S. apologies to twc48 for not "testing" this before my previous replies.)
04-03-2015 12:37 PM
next test, my own Cell style -- worked as expected (1998a, b, c). A copy of APA 6th - that I had -- the error is still there, so it is a difference in how 7.3 interprets the APA 6th style - not a change in the style itself.
04-03-2015 12:42 PM
Thanks for all your hard work, Leanne!
We are looking into this issue. Are you using the Cell style supplied with EndNote? They have different options for handling the a, b, c suffixes. If your style is customized, could you please attach it here so we can compare.
04-03-2015 01:04 PM - edited 04-03-2015 01:05 PM
On the laptop I was testing it on, I was comparing the installed Cell - got (Author, 1998a, b, c) and the installed Harvard --got (Author, 1998a, Author, 1998b, Author 1998c) which gave the correct a b and c-- while APA 6th gave (Author, 1998a, Author, 1998c, Author 1998e) -- and I tried changing every APA 6th setting I could think of - and it didn't appear to affect the assignment.
04-03-2015 01:35 PM
thanks so much for looking into it and that's reassuring as I'd begun to worry that my thesis has become corrupted! I'll carry on working on it for now and assume that a fix will appear in due course.