Multiple references from same author, same year - listing only the years with a,b,c

Hey,

I have looked around but not quite found exactly what I was looking for. I have multiple citations from the same authors in the same year. I am using a modifiued style for Journal of geophysical research. The style is as follows:

[Dawers et al., 1993; Anders and Schlische, 1994; Davis et al., 2005]. Note the semicolon that separates each reference.

Now, if I have multiple references from the same author in the same year, what I NEED is this: [Hussain et al., 2016a, 2016b] (Note the comma separating the two years).

What I get by default is this: [Hussain et al., 2016a; Hussain et al., 2016b]. I can go in and manually exclude the author from the citation (right click->modify etc.) but then I get [Hussain et al., 2016a; 2016b]. Here, a semicolon still separates the two years. So I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to replace the semicolon by a comma ONLY where we separate two references from the same author from the same year

2. is there a way to get this into the style template in endnote rather than having to go into each single instance where this happens in the text.

Thanks a lot

1. No

2. No

I  have never had a journal reject the paper for this kind of thing.  They have in house editing tools to convert them to house style.  

The other option is  to hide the endnote citation entirely, which I do by selecting it an converting to hidden text and not the endnote mechanism and then I type what I want to appear.  This means 1. I can see the endnote citation, and 2. I don’t have to go thru multiple levels of the edit citation options.  

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Sad to hear that there is no good option to automate this but it is what it is.