Pasting one document with references into another

I frequently have to paste the contents of one document into a larger document (chapters of a book). Whenever I do that, I end up with two reference lists underneath each other at the end of the document. How do I solve that problem without putting in all the in-text references again?

Many thanks to anyone who can answer this question!

Oh, I forgot to mention, I use endnote X

Assuming that what you want is a single bibliograpny at the end of the book, I suggest that you unformat the references in each document, discard any residual bibliograpny and then join the chapters into a new document and then reformat assuming you still have access to the Endnote libraries. 

Alternatively you could try unfomating the combined document, delete any residual bibliographys, and then reformat.  then you can move your reference list to the appropriate place. in the book (if it isn’t right at the end).  

Thanks Leanne,

I see that that would work, but it would be an incredible amount of work to do this every time I add a chapter to the book.  I have hundreds of references. Does anyone perhaps know a way to reintegrate the separate bibliographies without unformatting and reformatting the entire document?

@klbesemer wrote:

Does anyone perhaps know a way to reintegrate the separate bibliographies without unformatting and reformatting the entire document?

This might be less methodical than Leanne’s approach but it would allow bypassing unformatting/reformatting. 

This method assumes you’ve first added the EndNote reference records from the “new” chapter into the main EndNote library.  Next, check that the  “Enable Instant Formatting on new Word documents”, “scan for temporary citations”, and “Check for citation changes” options are activated (TOOLS, CITE WHILE YOU WRITE, CITE WHILE YOU WRITE PREFERENCES). Then simply copy-and-paste the new chapter text (omit the references) into the book-document.  The instant formatting and citations functions will compare the citations from the new chapter against the main EndNote library and should update the  book’s bibliography.

This worked for X3 but suggest you run a small test, combining a section from two different chapters and check the resulting bibliography.

It shouldn’t be a lot of work.  It just reformats (as long as you have the original library - CrazyGecko’s solution is more or less the same as it still needs to “reformat” to retrieve the refs from the open library? 

@klbesemer wrote:

…Does anyone perhaps know a way to reintegrate the separate bibliographies without unformatting and reformatting the entire document?

@leanne wrote:

It shouldn’t be a lot of work.  It just reformats (as long as you have the original library - CrazyGecko’s solution is more or less the same as it still needs to “reformat” to retrieve the refs from the open library? 

Copy-and-paste would eliminate the unformat-and-discard steps while the CWYW with the active library would address the formatting issue - so instead of 4 steps (unformat, discard references, copy/paste, reformat), kibesemer would only need to do one (copy-and-paste - assuming CWYW and the appropriate library is active).

“Allow instant formatting” did it for me, thanks!