Preventing duplicating during copying online references

Dear community,

I just started with Endnote, after years of working with Reference Manager. 

Reference Manager always warns for duplication when copying/replacing search results into my permanent reference account. However, as far as I can see, Endnote does not warn and just copies the refs into my permant reference file. So everytime I have to deduplicate. 

What am I doing wrong, or what can I do?

Thans in advance,

Roberto, Amsterdam

1 Like

EndNote has two methods for minimizing duplication of records. In your case when downloading references into an Endnote library select the “Automatically discard duplicates” option in the Duplicates section of Endnote preferences. This enables Endnote to automatically discard duplicate references when downloading from online databases. (Refer to attached image.) The second method is to compare and delete duplicate records after the downloading process is been completed.

For further information concerning duplicate references go to the Help section of Endnote toolbar and search for “Duplicate references”.

1 Like

The discard duplicates option in Endnote only works if you are working in the globe and library setting (see image attached), where all records resulting from a search are automatically added to the library (except duplicates, if you have the discard duplicate setting set).  I prefer to decide which records to add to my library.  – So I add the references to a new temporary library and then from my main library I import that temporary library, where you can specify to discard duplicates.  I do wish they would automate this better!  

Capture.JPG

My apologies for my very late response. It worked with globe - library setting. 

Thanks!

Roberto

1 Like

My apologies for my very late response. “Automatically discard duplicates” option worked with globe - library setting. 

Thanks!

Roberto

I have been facing the same situation like the original poster. I hope EndNote will have a similar way like “Reference Manager” to handle possible duplicates when copy/add references between libraries. e.g. after I search an online source and have some references, I then want to copy/add a particular reference to a library. EndNote currently directly copy/add it without checking if the one to be added is a possible duplicate. However, “Reference Manager” will warn me if it could be a duplicate. The “Automatically discard duplicates” option in EndNote does not work with “copy references to” and “add references to” commands.