Problem using EndNote X7 with Scrivener (Mac) to input endnotes (not footnotes!)

Hello Community,

I am pulling my hair out trying to solve what I think should be a simple problem. I have spent three full days scouring the user manuals, tutorial videos, community forums etc. for both EndNote and Scrivener to no avail. I consider myself quite technicaly savvy, which is why I am going to mad—this shouldn’t be so hard.

I am embarking on turning my dissertation into a book. It was recommended that I use Scrivener and EndNote (I used Apple’s Pages solely to write my dissertation, and input all citations and bibliography the old-fahsioned, manual way). This is what I want to do: I want to write in the form common to most art history books, that is citations throughout the text indicated with superscripted numbers. Then, at the end of the book/my text, there is a numbered list (usually broken down by chapter) of the citations, in the Chicago Manual of Style fomat. Finally, after the citations, there is a bibliography (again formatted in Chicago Manual of Style). 

So much of the help/tutorial info about using EndNote with Scrivener addresses either inserting in-line citations, (author, year) or footnote citations at the bottom of each page. I do not want either of these. Frankly I’m surprised I haven’t seen more community posts about this from writers in the humanites or social sciences, who often follow the form I outlined above. Perhaps there are tips here that I have missed, but I’ve gone through dozens and dozens of posts that never quite touch on my problem. As members here know, there are slight differences in the formatting of a Chicago endnote citation versus its bibliography entry. In essence, I simply want to do this:

Jameson claimed that pastiche defined the postmodern condition.1

(with the 1 being superscripted)

1 Fredric Jameson, Postmodernism, Or, the Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism (Durham: Duke University Press, 1991).

(this is the endnote at the end of the book)

Jameson, Fredric. Postmodernism, Or, the Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism. Durham: Duke University Press, 1991.

(this is the bibliography entry at the end of the book)

I can produce endnotes the way I want solely in Scrivener, but that still requires me to manually write the citation and bibliography info (though I would most likley be doing a lot of copying an pasting). I am also able to use EndNote with Pages to insert the citations properly formatted, but I am limited to using footnotes (which I don’t want). I try at all costs to avoid using MS products but I will if I must. EndNote seems like an amazing tool for collecting all my references and formatting them for me, and I love the possibility of their being dynamic as I work through my writing; Scriverner’s editing abilities for book projects look awesome. But I think it’s crazy that one has to jump through so many hoops, across three applications, to get the final form I want (and I haven’t even been able to do that yet). Spending hours and hours wading through preferences and settings, again across multiple applications, seems to be the exact opposite of the intended purpose of EndNote and these other apps, which is to make structural issues easier so that you can concentrate on actual writing!

If there is any kind soul out there who can help me, I would be forever in your debt. BTW I am using a MacBook Pro and the lastest versions of EndNote and Scrivener (and Pages and MS Word).

thank you,

-Nate

I have the same problem with Endnote. 

I have the SAME problem. Help please…