Problems with Journal name abbreviations

Dear Leanne and Myoshigi,

Thanks for your time to respond to my question. I checked the points that both of you have raised and everything was OK, except the problem still was there. Eventually, I had to call the customer support in USA to solve this problem. Yes, John East did suggest correctly to replace the term list, but I their website failed to provide instructions how to do so. Anyway, after I solved this problem I made a quick note for myself how to do this and I am attaching it to this thread so whoever encounters the similar difficulty I hope will benefit from this.

Here is the complete procedure in text format:

How to update the Journals Terms List of EndNote version X2

Fatkhulla Tadjimukhamedov, NMSU 2008

The Journals Term List is a necessary component of EndNote program that enables to automatically update the journal names as well as abbreviation features that are predefined in Term List files (usually saved in the directory C:\Program Files\EndNote X2\Terms Lists). In order to successfully update the journal terms list the following steps must be taken, so that the program will recognize the updated list: If you are updating the journal list terms of an already built library, make sure you back up the original file. When building a new library or editing the existing library you may realize that some citations are being abbreviated accordingly, while the others are not after importing references.   The reason for such inconsistency is that the Term List does not have proper Journals Term Lists set up. To fix this: 

1. Go to Tools menu > Open Term Lists > Journal Term List. This will open Term Lists message dialog.

2. On the Lists tab select journals and press Delete List… button. This will delete the Journals entry. Press Create List button and type Journals in the text field. Do not forget to check the Journal List under the text field otherwise it will result in error and the new list will not be recognized.

3. Press OK button. Then press Import List button and navigate to C:\Program Files\EndNote X2\Terms Lists directory and select the desired term list. Press Open button to confirm the selection and press OK button in a message dialog prompted afterwards. Press Close button of Term Lists window. Now when you click on the references that did not use the journal title abbreviations previously, they will now show up in abbreviated format.

4. One last important step that must to be done: Go to Edit menu > Preferences and select Term Lists  and uncheck the Update lists when importing or pasting references entry.

Dear Fatkhulla,

thank you for your very good instructions! It was very helpful for me.

Best regards,

Sabine

glad you found it useful, Sabine.

Good luck in writing!

Dear fatkhulla

Thank you very much for you “amazing”  answer, I spent long hours trying to solve it till I found this forum and your answer!. 

Only, I would like to add that if this procedure  is applied on an already created library, is necessary click in “update list” in the “Term list” box in order to link the previous references with the term list, otherwise, you will find references without assigned abbreviation and so on. 

Handy dandy video instructions here: http://endnote.com/kb/82228

GeorgeThin,

You are welcome. Glad it helped you.

Cheers!

F

Thank you! 

Very helpful answer!

It soleves the problem fundenmentally. 

Make sure you follow fatkhulla’s response below, and you can also look at the video instructions here:  http://endnote.com/kb/82228  but don’t skip Fatkhulla’s last step.  

Remember that you also need to make sure the output style you are using is selected to use the correct column of the terms list.  Edit> edit output style, edit “your output style”  – as in the image attached.  Then Save as and give new name (or save if it is an option).  Then in the document make sure you are using the newly named output style on the Endnote X7 ribbon or toolbar.  (not necessary, if you were able to “save” – but never give it the same name if you have to choose “save as”!)  

Dear Fatkhulla,

many thanks for sharing this useful information.

All best

Matteo

No problem, All! It is great to see that these notes can still be found usefull after all these years…

Fatkhulla

Hi there,

Good evening.

I am using Endnote X7.4 version on desktop. I have around 240 reference in my endnote library.

But recently I have problems in exporting the references from sites. The endnote gets hanged during the import and it shows “updating term list” icon and never recovers.

I have tried CWYW turn off in endnote and hyperlink turn off in word 2013. But both options are not working for me…

Please suggest me another option or whta I should do to get the Endnote working…

Thanks in advance

I always have the terms list update options firmly off in the preferences settings.  I don’t want endnote to assume I want things in my terms list.  – have you tried turning them off?  see this preference option in the attached image (for endnote for windows, these are accessed via Edit, Preferences in Endnote)

Thanks very much. You illustrated the solution clearly. It worked with me very well.

for me the problem was I imported from medline not nlm.

I fixed it by logging on to nlm (deleted medline) and updating all references

for me the problem was import thru medline and not NLM like outlined above (and thank you)

so I deleted medline, logged on to NLM and updated all references-and it worked

Hi,

Thank you very much for the detailed stepwise instructions. But I still have the problem with some journals as non-abbreviated. Do you have any idea about that?

Does your output style have the Journal settings to use the correct abbreviation settings (see image attached)?  

If not, then it will use what is in the Journal field.  

Are they in your journal terms list?  If not, then it will use what is in the Journal field.  

Are they in your journal terms list correctly? If not then it will take the wrong item from the right column. 

The Clarivate Analytics Knowledgebase link is now:  https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/article/EndNote-Generate-full-or-abbreviated-journal-names?language=en_US

Thanks a lot. I have noticed this problem for last few months but have no idea how to fix it. I used to manually overwrite in the references section but it changed back if I update it. Now I can really fix it. Thanks again.

Best,

I have tried this solution and am still unable to get endnote to abbreviate reference journal names. 

Does the output style designate the right option in the journal terms list?