Problems with installing Endnote – Word "can not find a copy of EndNote X7.0.1 to launch."

Hi,

I have been trying to install EndNote on my MacBook Pro (Mac OS X version 10.6.8 and Word 11) from the myendnote.com website: myendnote.com > Options > Download Installers

The installation process went fine, but when open Word and lauch EndNote (under “Tools”) I get the following error message

Could not find a copy of EndNote X7.0.1 to launch.
Error code = -10814

What am I doing wrong? I and installed the program and installed it again, restarted the computer several times, but can’t get it to work.

Helpful for any advice!

Thanks,

Karin

This particular error can occur when working with Word 2008/2011. After EndNote online plug-in installation, when trying to use the Cite While You Write toolbar in Word, you will see the EndNote desktop toolbar instead of EndNote online toolbar. When you try accessing this toolbar you will be prompted with this error message,

Cannot find a copy of EndNote to launch. Error code is 10814

This can be resolved by switching the tools to EndNote online. To do this in Word 2008/2011.

1. Open Word.

2. Go to the “Tools” menu, point your mouse over “EndNote X4/X5/X6/X7” and select “Cite While You Write Preferences…”.

3. On the Cite While You Write Preferences window, click on the “Application” tab.

4. Select “EndNote Web” or “EndNote online”. Enter your registered E-mail address and password for EndNote online.

5. Click “OK”.

6. Restart Word and try using the Cite While You Write commands again.

You can find this on our website as well

http://endnote.com/kb/112559

Let us know if you have any questions or if this does not resolve the issue.