Question on how to Export Citations

Good day guys,

I am using Endnote X1, my system is Windows XP with service pack 2.

I have problems exporting citations.

After selecting my reference, when I click on the “Save to Endnote, Refman, ProCite” button, I get the Processing Records Page.

The irritating “To protect your security, IE blocked this site from downloading files to your computer.” Clicking on the bar and choosing the “Download file…” option gives me another pop up box that says

Do you want to save this file?

Name: CAUR09WH, y=0

Type unknown file type, 269 bytes

Choosing Save, I negotiate to my Endnote folder which has the following folders:

Backup, Connections, etc. I click on the folder which I created a new libary for:

ABC.data

there is a subfolder, rdb.

My questions are

1. Which folder in Endnote should I save the file in? I have tried saving in every folder that seemed logical, but opening Endnote I can’t find the reference at all.

2. Does the filename “CAUR09WH, y=0” look correct?

Thanks!

I am using Endnote X.0.2 

From where are you exporting references (Web of Knowledge from the text below)?

I think you need to change your security settings (or maybe can cirumvent by hold down the ctrl key?), because you don’t want it to download the file, you want Endnote to open.  — and then it asks what library you want to add the references to (Which gets a bit tedious each time).   

Hi Leanne,

thanks for your reply! Makes sense to me, since I don’t want to download anything. BUt my main obstacle is in that blasted

“To protect your security, IE blocked this site from downloading files to your computer.”

message. I can’t find any info on how to disable it. I have a feeling that once I do that I should be able to save.

As for why I’m exporting from Web of Science, I am doing a literature review and have to go through lists of possible articles. The fastest way I know to cull titles is to just tick off the marked list and then export the lot to my Endnotes. I can to this at uni, but not at home.

Greg

Maybe try firefox as your default browser?  I find that most things are more sensibly set in firefox. 

thanks for your reply! Makes sense to me, since I don’t want to download anything. BUt my main obstacle is in that blasted

“To protect your security, IE blocked this site from downloading files to your computer.”

message. I can’t find any info on how to disable it. I have a feeling that once I do that I should be able to save.

You can check your security settings by going to the IE toolbar and select Tools> and Internet Options>.  This will bring up the Internet Options dialogue box which displays 7 tabs: General, Security, Privacy, Content, Connections, Programs, Advanced.

Click on the “Privacy” tab to check what the setting is (Medium should be ok).  While you’re still on the Privacy tab, click on the “Settings” button (for the Pop-up Blocker).  This will bring up the Pop-up Blocker Settings dialogue box where you can type and add website URLs to allow pop-ups so you won’t get the IE blockiing message.