Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Visitor
Accepted Solution

Reference error hash (#) + number.

Dear endnote community.

I have a problem with the reference function in Word. I am using endnote X7 in Word 365 ProPlus. I have been writing and citing in the same document for a few weeks now, but suddenly the citing function doesnt work as intended. Whenever I cite a reference it gives me this: {author, year #number}. For example: {Steinberg, 2008 #53760}

This just appeared out of apparently nowhere. If I open a new document referencing works as normal. It just seems to be this document where the error is. 

Thank you for the help.
Kind regards.
Troels

Mentor

Re: Reference error hash (#) + number.

[ Edited ]

See this thread?  http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-How-To/how-can-I-change-the-citing-format-back/m-p/12... Is this the same issue?  Make sure that the instant formating option is "on". 

(long time Endnote user)
Visitor

Hello Leanne.

Thank you for the reply. It did the trick. At first I wasn't able to turn instant formatting on. When I pressed "Turn instant formatting on" it went to the "insert citations window" and when I tried to add a reference it came back to this window without adding a reference, and without turning on instant formatting. The reason was that I used curly brackets {} in my text. When all these were removed word was able to turn instant formatting on.

So apparently I am not allowed to use "curly brackets" in a text while I cite and write. It's a minor annoyance.

So thank you again.

Regards
Troels

Mentor

Or you can change your temporary citation delimiters to square brackets or any combination of two characters that you don't use anywhere else (%, & or $, etc).  then your "temporary citations" will be changed to [author, year #1927]and you shouldn't have the problem.  This can be in the format bibliography menu or permanently in the edit preferences settings.  

(long time Endnote user)
New User

Hi

I am having the same problem. I have followed the discussion.

However I am at a loss where to find "turn on instant formatting": is this on my Mac or on Endnote?

When all the discussion make suggestions: am I looking on word ( i have word 2016) OR on Endnote...?

Thanks

sam

Mentor

[ Edited ]

windows,  -- in word, on the Endnote ribbon -- see the attached 

(long time Endnote user)
New User

Really sorry: I have a Mac.

I do not have Endnote on the ribbon and cannot find the display that the windows/ tools/ endnote offers on windows word.

Could you please sent an image of how I do this on a Mac

Huge thanks

Sam

Mentor

[ Edited ]

Maybe your ribbon isn't properly installed?  I see a similar ribbon in Mac's MSWord 2016 in this youtube video?  You have the most uptodate word2016 and endnote 7.5 something or other?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CTFsbArKgo 

(long time Endnote user)
New User

Thanks for your excellent support.

I can now see that my ribbon isnt installed properly: I dont have anything that looks like what i see on you tube.

I have just spent time trying to find a endnote video on "how to install endnote on the ribbon word 2016" and cannot find anything.

How do I install Endnote onto the ribbon of my Mac?

Yes, I have the most up-to-dat word 2016 and endnote (just checked)

Thanks

sam

Mentor

Okay,  then I would go here! 

http://endnote.com/kb/138936

(long time Endnote user)