References won’t auto-save

In previous versions of Endnote, one could make changes to a reference and simply close it in order to save the changes.  Now in X5.0.1, whenever I close a reference, I get a dialog which says “Do you want to save the changes you made to the reference?  Your changes will be lost if you don’t save them”.  Saving adds an unnecessary extra step.  How do I get the auto-save functionality back?

Confusingly, if you look in Endnote Help, it still acts as if references auto-save.  E.g. under “Closing References”, it reads “Note>: All data in a reference is automatically saved when you close the Reference window.”

Many thanks.

Isn’t there a box to tick, “don’t show this again?”

There is a box to tick “Don’t show this message again”, but it isn’t clear to me that doing so would turn autosave back on.  Instead, I worry that only the warning will disappear and it still won’t autosave.  I’d rather have the warning if it’s not going to autosave.  [and how would you turn the warning back on once you clicked the box?]

Yes, there is an option to click “Do not display this message again.” You can simply check this box and click Yes. See the attached image.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

do_not_display.jpg

Clicking that box will allow records to auto-save on closing. Turning that dialog back on would involve editing the Windows Registry.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

Great, that worked.  To avoid confusion for other users, I would change that tick box text to “turn auto-save on and stop displaying this message”.  Thanks.

unfortunately, I clicked this box in EndNote X8. How can I turn that dialog back on in Windows Registry?

I would appreciate very much your help. Thank you in advance.

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ISI ResearchSoft\EndNote\Preferences

ShowSaveDialog

change from F to T, and voilà