Removing Read-only status

The advice from CrazyGecko to get the library out of the program folder is essential.  You cannot (and should not)change the read only properties of files in the program directory if you use Windows Vista or later.  You can open it and “save as” to a new location, which will move all the associated .DATA folder and subfolder items as well, to the new location, such as My Documents, or other user folder location. 

To see the “.enl” extension or any other extension for that matter, you should make sure your folder settings are set to see them. Google “view file extensions windows” to find out how for your version of Windows. 
 Highly recommended.  I absolutely hate that Windows hides that kind of essential information by default!

@crazygecko wrote:

I’m not clear as to where the problematic library is located as your initial message mentioned the USB hard drive but your recent message seems to identify the EndNote folder within “Programs” on your hard drive.  BTW, you didn’t mention your computer’s operating system but if you’re using Windows Vista or later, the EndNote library file and .DATA folder should be moved to the Documents section of your computer.

Otherwise, the key issue is to locate your EndNote library file and remove the Read-only attribute and recheck the file to confirm its removal.  If you encounter difficulties in removing the read-only and your file happens to be in the Program Files section of the hard drive, you can try copying the file to the desktop, remove the read-only, then copy the file back to the Programs Files.