Removing Read-only status

Hi

I am unable to download any citations to my Endnote library as a message comes up telling me that it is a read-only database. I have now just downloaded Endnote 4 and tried to download citations but the same message keeps coming up. This happens on all versions of my library which I carry on a USB and an external hard disk. Are you able to tell me why this has happened and how it can be fixed? Thank you.

Cheers

Fiona

Can’t say why but if you’re using Windows you can remove the read-only attribute by doing the following:

1.  Locate the EndNote library file (.enl), place your cursor on the file name, then right click to display a pop-up menu then select “Properties”. 

1. This will display the properties window and on the “General” tab, look at the bottom where it says:  Attributes.  If the “Read-only” box is colored (selected), de-select it by ticking the box. 

2. Then click the “Apply” button, then the OK button to close the Properties window.

Thanks very much for that: I have tried what you suggested…unfortunately it didn’t work…I perhaps need to clarify the message that comes up…‘Service Error: Database is read-only’. Is that any help?

Cheers

Just to recap, when you first checked the .enl file’s “Read-only” attribute, was it selected?  Then you unticked the “Read-only” selection?

Could you go back and recheck the setting?  If the attribute still displays as Read-only, try copying the .enl file to your desktop then copying it back to the drive.

Hi

I’ll try to explain a little better as I may be confusing the issue. At the moment I don’t have any files with the suffix .enl. When you suggested looking at the attributes, I actually went into the program files to the Endnote X4 folder and then clicked on the icon labelled Endnote which came up with my library (this seems to be a copy of my Endnote X3 library). Does this make sense?

Cheers

When you create a library, EndNote assigns the “.enl” file extension to the file name (e.g., My EndNote Library.enl) and creates a corresponding folder (e.g., My EndNote Library.DATA).  [Note: The .enl extension is visible if you check the file’s Properties.)  Both the library file and .DATA folder should be stored together in the same location. 

I’m not clear as to where the problematic library is located as your initial message mentioned the USB hard drive but your recent message seems to identify the EndNote folder within “Programs” on your hard drive.  BTW, you didn’t mention your computer’s operating systemb but if you’re using Windows Vista or later, the EndNote library file and .DATA folder should be moved to the Documents section of your computer.

Otherwise, the key issue is to locate your EndNote library file and remove the Read-only attribute and recheck the file to confirm its removal.  If you encounter difficulties in removing the read-only and your file happens to be in the Program Files section of the hard drive, you can try copying the file to the desktop, remove the read-only, then copy the file back to the Programs Files.

The advice from CrazyGecko to get the library out of the program folder is essential.  You cannot (and should not)change the read only properties of files in the program directory if you use Windows Vista or later.  You can open it and “save as” to a new location, which will move all the associated .DATA folder and subfolder items as well, to the new location, such as My Documents, or other user folder location. 

To see the “.enl” extension or any other extension for that matter, you should make sure your folder settings are set to see them. Google “view file extensions windows” to find out how for your version of Windows. 
 Highly recommended.  I absolutely hate that Windows hides that kind of essential information by default!

@crazygecko wrote:

I’m not clear as to where the problematic library is located as your initial message mentioned the USB hard drive but your recent message seems to identify the EndNote folder within “Programs” on your hard drive.  BTW, you didn’t mention your computer’s operating system but if you’re using Windows Vista or later, the EndNote library file and .DATA folder should be moved to the Documents section of your computer.

Otherwise, the key issue is to locate your EndNote library file and remove the Read-only attribute and recheck the file to confirm its removal.  If you encounter difficulties in removing the read-only and your file happens to be in the Program Files section of the hard drive, you can try copying the file to the desktop, remove the read-only, then copy the file back to the Programs Files.

‘Locked volume’, EndNOte Windows 7 Pro.

Re-assignning attributes to directories, volumes or disks did not help. After trying all those things for a while, the actual solution took 7.5 seconds.  You open the locked library, then do Save Copy. This could be the same location - the new name will get a ‘- Copy’ ending, never mind. The newly saved library will run normally. You can delete the old one and rename the new one - both the the *.enl file and the corresponding directory - to keep the old name if you wish.

BTW- This does not work. Removing the “read only” attribute on the box does not change the EndNote program from saying that it (the library.enl) is “locked or is on a locked Volume” and does nota llow for editing or adding!

Works fine for me, running Windows 10 and Endnote X8.2. Were you sharing the library file or putting it on the cloud or other external storage device? If you’re unable to resolve the problem suggest you contact tech support:

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/technicalsupport?language=en_US