Removing a traveling library reference

What is the best way to remove a traveling library reference? I found all the instance in the paper, deleted them, and reimported a formatted reference. Still remains as an option (is it just an option or is it ‘reading’ it from a reference I missed and didn’t replace?)

tx in advance (X6 Mtn Lion)

Still hoping someone will know how to remove a traveling library reference embedded in a document! thx

The best way to remove all travelling library references is to unformat the citations in the document back to their curly bracketed form and save as to a new name, then reformat bibliography of the document with the Endnote library or libraries open.  You may have to turn CWYW back on during this the reformat process.  to be even more sure you can close the unformated saved document and reopen it.  This wipes out any vestige of the travelling library. 

I have had this issue where Endnote was duplicating references as different numbers. It turned out to be the Travelling Library and my Endnote library. To solve this, got to ‘Edit & Manage Citations’ in Word and then any that say ‘Travelling Library’ . There will then be an option (A settings cog on a mac) that gives a dropdown box. Select ‘Update from My Library’ and it will then remove the Travelling Library ref and conform with the numbering form the library inserted reference.

This is an easier way. I have had this issue where Endnote was duplicating references as different numbers. It turned out to be the Travelling Library and my Endnote library. To solve this, got to ‘Edit & Manage Citations’ in Word and then any that say ‘Travelling Library’ . There will then be an option (A settings cog on a mac) that gives a dropdown box. Select ‘Update from My Library’ and it will then remove the Travelling Library ref and conform with the numbering form the library inserted reference.

Great, it worked. I had to do it one by one but it worked, definitely. I suppose it should be an easiest  way

Thanks so much

What if I have too many references to go one by one? My coauthors edited the document and then some but not all of my references went to “traveling library” even though all were set to the correct endnote library when I sent it to them.  

I don’t have time to go through 100 references!

There is some hidden stuff in fields, that if you do the updates in the right order, the fields get updated to your library.  Tricky, but try reading this and see if it avoids the problem?   http://endnote.com/kb/131973  

As a last resort, I have unformated the original document, compared it to the unformated new document, and then accepted (or rejected changes to) my citations, and accepted the other updates.  – then reformat with my library.  I found that the safest way to recover the correct temporary citations with “record numbers” that otherwise may have been inadvertantly changed.

@alexandercj

I just had the same problem and was glad to find this solution. Brilliant. Thanks for figuring it out. It saved me the agony of working through several hundred references in a 260-page document.

1 Like