11-22-2016 03:49 PM
I'm trying to remove extra information that sometimes follows the journal title such as subtitles or place of publication. Like this one for example
Matsumura, I., Tanaka, H., and Kanakura, Y. (2003) E2F1 and c-Myc in cell growth and death. Cell cycle
(Georgetown, Tex.) 2, 333-338
I went to edit reference and removed the strikethrough part then updated my references and when I checked my references list, that part still there. Although, this part is permanently removed from the reference.
I hope someone can help
11-23-2016 09:43 AM
Did you also change year or first author? -- It may be that that citation is looking to the temporary library rather than the endnote library. -- if all your citations are in your library, you could convert to unformated citations, and then reformat to force it to retrieve it from the main library. -- if there is a differenence and can't link it, endnote will prompt you for the correct record.
11-23-2016 09:58 AM
Thank you for your reply. No I did not change the year or author. I only removed the part between brackets. I tried unformatting and updating the reference list and nothing changed
11-23-2016 10:55 AM
So you went into the citation, selected Edit Citation, more, went to the record shown and selected Edit Reference from the drop down - Edit Library Reference, (see image) removed text "
(Georgetown, Tex.)" from where exactly? Was it in the title line of your record? I downloaded that paper to my library and that text isn't a part of the title? What output style are you using and is the record defined as a ref type: journal ?
I tested this on my word/endnote, adding text to the title and it was there in the updated bibliography.
Or did you do someother process?
11-23-2016 11:04 AM
11-23-2016 11:10 AM
This is how it looks like when I downloaded the ref as a clipboard:
Matsumura, I., Tanaka, H., and Kanakura, Y. (2003) E2F1 and c-Myc in cell growth and death. Cell cycle (Georgetown, Tex.) 2, 333-338
11-23-2016 11:20 AM - edited 11-23-2016 11:22 AM
This is a journal terms problem not a part of the title. --
You have settings in preferences set to update the journal terms list from that Alt Journal field when you import things. You need to turn that off, as it is replacing the journal name Cell cycle with the Cell cycle (Georgetown, Tex.) in the "abbreviation 1" column - and the term is wrong. You can edit the journal terms list to remove that text.
Or you may want to consult the knowledgebase article below, create a new journal terms list, and making sure you turning off those auto-update preferences.
11-23-2016 01:15 PM
I chose "Don't replace" and it corrected most of the references so, THANK YOU SO MUCH! However, some of the journal names are abbreviated now but, I think I know how to fix this.
11-23-2016 01:40 PM
That works too!
but when you have time -- (and it really doesn't take much time) you should update or replace the journal terms list as it fixes all those inconsistancies and return your output style to utilize it. And you only have to do it once (per library).