Renaming of columns and search using changed column names

Dear experts,

i am currently facing a problem with renamed customizied colums in the reference types of Endnote and will try to illustrate this with an example:

I changed the “Custom 3” column title to “test” for the reference type “journal article”. This renamed column appears as expected named “test” instead of “Custom 3”, when i open the details of a reference file.

Problems begin, when i use the endnote search to search only in the column “test” across the references of my library. Using the endnote search, i can only chose from the generic column names. “test” is not available to search within, instead “Custom 3” still appears. Is there any way to change the appearance of renamed columns in the endnote search? (I work with Endnote X7)

Thank you very much for your help!

Johannes

You will not be able to change the names of the fields when doing a search.

In EndNote you can customize any of the 54 fields of a Reference in any of the 53 Reference Types. So for the 53 Reference Types a field could have 54 different names.

So when doing a search EndNote will display the Default Name of the field because otherwsie EndNote would not know which name to use.

If you would like to see this feature changed in a future version of EndNote, You may want to submit a request for a product enhancement on our website.

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-Product-Suggestions/bd-p/en-suggest