Retrieving references error

Hello!

Usually my Endnote libraries behave pretty well. Today I am unable to touch the library as it only displaces a message “Retrieving references” in the header. I can not add references, open PDFs saved in previous references or use cite as you write. I cannot use the menus of Endnote either as the whole program is frozen. I have shut down and restarted my computer twice. Is there any way to fix this???

Many thanks.

This will happen if your library is attempting to synchronize. Are you still experiencing this issue, or has the synchronization completed? You can temporarily disable the automatic synchronization. You can do this by clicking the Edit menu or EndNote menu on the Mac and selecting Preferences. Click on the Sync option and then turn off the Sync Automatically option. Quit and restart EndNote and see if you can work with your library. You can manually initiate a Sync by clicking the Tools menu and selecting Sync. Once Synchronization completes, you can re-enable the Sync Automatically option again.

Hi Jason, I am experiencing a similar problem and despite having tried your trick it still doesn’t work. Basically, I recently got a new computer, I had everything synced on my endnote web and am trying to bring everything back into the desktop version. 

Things initially worked just fine and the sync downloaded 722 out of the 2000+ refs I have. It downloaded the groups correctly and then it crashed. If I now open Endnote it keeps endlessly crashing and it does so even if I turn the auto-sync off and then try to sync manually. 

Basically, I only have these 722 refs and I can’t find any way around to get back to my fully library.

Any help please? I’m a Mac user.

thanks very much.

best,

Francesco

Hi Jason, I am experiencing a similar problem and despite having tried your trick it still doesn’t work. Basically, I recently got a new computer, I had everything synced on my endnote web and am trying to bring everything back into the desktop version. 

Things initially worked just fine and the sync downloaded 722 out of the 2000+ refs I have. It downloaded the groups correctly and then it crashed. If I now open Endnote it keeps endlessly crashing and it does so even if I turn the auto-sync off and then try to sync manually. 

Basically, I only have these 722 refs and I can’t find any way around to get back to my fully library.

Any help please? I’m a Mac user.

thanks very much.

best,

Francesco

Same problem here - Endnote 8.2, latest MacOS.

Tried to re-sync my online references into a new library - downloads a good proportion of these and then repeatedly crashes.

Help please.

Same problem here - Endnote 8.2, latest MacOS.

Tried to re-sync my online references into a new library - downloads a good proportion of these and then repeatedly crashes.

Help please.

Tried too but failed too. Probably due to big file size (attached a few >200mb files under one reference). Waited for an hour (a few times) but still doesn’t work. Using X8 in Windows.

By the ways, attach-file function keep crashing too. When it comes to attaching too many big files, the latter ones seem to appear in the real library (i mean the file being copied to the .data folder) but failed to display on the user platform.

It seems working now! No worries. By now synchronizing properly. Sorry for any confusions caused. Best of luck citing and EndNoting!

Hi,

Did you manage to resolve your problem? I do have exactly the same issue.

Thanks,

Flo

Hi there,

I do have the same problem as yours. Did you solve it?

Best,

Flo

Hi,

I have the same issue as yours. Did you solved it?

Thanks,

Flo

On my Mac, running X8 and OS 10.13.4, syncing using the sync button or automatically syncing gave me a spinning beachball, but using Sync under the Tools menu magically worked.

Good luck.