Sequence of short titles in footnote, Chicago style . . . removing misplaced periods?

Is there a way to stop periods from showing up after each short title in a footnote, where several short titles are strung together, separated by semi-colons?  For example:

Martin, “Palachucola Club inHampton.”; Martin, “Pineland, Mother of Hunting Clubs.”; Martin,“Chelsea, Where Northerners Hunt.”; Martin, “Okeetee Club,42,000-Acre Preserve.”

These are all newspaper articles that have been cited previously, so Endnote uses short titles for subsequent references.  The problem are the periods inside the quotes for the first three.  Obviously, these shouldn’t be here.  Is there a way to get rid of them?

TIA. 

Any chance that you entered those periods in the titles of your entries in the EndNote library?

If not, you will have to edit the template for the bibliography. (edit/output styles/… - the Help section should provide some further guidance).

No, they’re not in the library.  If only!  That would have been too easy.

I have looked at editing the template for the footnotes, but as best as I can tell, there is no provision for editing subsequent references separate from the first one.  So in this case, I need the periods to be present when I cite each article for the first time, individually.  The problem arises with subsequent references, and only in a series of such references.  This is the only case where the periods are not needed (except for the last reference in the series).  

Does this make sense?  Surely I’m not the first person to run into this problem, am I? 

I haven’t looked too much, but it looks like period is automatically added at the end of title or short title.

You probably need to edit manually after removing field code, and request the feature to Thomson.

Help file indicates they are not supporting footnote formatting very well (Thomson says “We tried out best”)

That’s exactly right, Myoshigi.  And while you can edit certain functions under “repeated citations,” this isn’t one of them.  I can’t believe that no one else has found this problematic.  For Chicago-style footnotes (I’m in the humanities), this is completely standard.

What’s the best way to bring this to Thompson’s attention?  I’m a fairly new Endnote user, and haven’t submitted a request directly to them before. 

This has long been a source of complaint. See for example this thread and this.

By reading these threads, it seems Thomson is trying to avoid to get into the problem by saying “Endnote doesn’t know where is the end of sentense”. That’s certainly true because “period” does not necessarily mean the end of the sentence, and it seems difficult algorithm to automate. But, having “no period for the repeated title/short title” option should be there, at least.

To voice the complaint, one way is to keep posting here at the forum.

Another way is to go to:

http://www.endnote.com/ensuggest.asp

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion.  I can’t believe there isn’t an automated solution to this problem . . . it would seem relatively easy to write an algorithm to handle it.  Does anyone know if Citation does this properly?  It’s almost enough to make me want to switch. 

Can anyone tell me if a solution has been found to the question at the top of this page since 2009?  I too am suffering from this problem coming up with multiple short titles in a footnote:

.";

Thanks!

(original post:

Is there a way to stop periods from showing up after each short title in a footnote, where several short titles are strung together, separated by semi-colons?  For example:

Martin, “Palachucola Club inHampton.”; Martin, “Pineland, Mother of Hunting Clubs.”; Martin,“Chelsea, Where Northerners Hunt.”; Martin, “Okeetee Club,42,000-Acre Preserve.”)

Same problem here. EndNote X7, Windows 7 Enterprise, Word 2016…