Single line bibliography? (X4)

I feel as though this question must have been asked, but in my searching I haven’t been able to dig anything up.

I’m using EndNote X4. Is there someway in a bibliography style to make it not add a new line afer each reference? For example, rather than looking like this:

REFERENCES:

1. M. J. Caley et al., Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. (1996).

2. C. M. Roberts, Science (1997).

3. J. Roughgarden et al., Ecology (1985). 4. G. R. Almany et al., Science (2007). 5. G. P. Jones et al., Curr. Biol. (2005).

I’d like it to do this:

REFERENCES: 1. M. J. Caley et al., Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. (1996). 2. C. M. Roberts, Science (1997). 3. J. Roughgarden et al., Ecology (1985). 4. G. R. Almany et al., Science (2007). 5. G. P. Jones et al., Curr. Biol. (2005). …

I know I can just search & replace the line breaks but it’d be nice if it did it for me. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Hello,

Can you elaborate on the reason this is required? We have seen this requested in the past, but the people making the request said it was to save space in their document submission. Which doesn’t make sense, as you’re not fooling an editor by compressing the reference list, and it makes it hard to read.

If there are journals out there which require this type of formatting we can look into providing this type of functionality. No one has yet come forward with author guidelines for any journals illustrating this requirement.

Thanks,

Sharon

The EndNote Team

Thanks for the reply. In my case it is also to save space (on a grant proposal). It’s hardly a general use-case, I was just wondering if there was some way to do it that I was missing. It’s easy enough for me to just continue replacing newlines with spaces.

Grant proposals rarely count the references in the page limits and as a grant reviewer, that compression would frustrate the “heck” out of me.  – Just sayin… You want to make your grant easy to read for your reviewers/assessors.  

I would like to be able to make a compressed bibliographic list also. Many grant proposals require the bibliography to fit within the page limits, and compressing the list as panthalassa describes is commonplace. I hope this functionality is introduced to the style editor, as EndNote is usually extremely useful for a variety of documents, not just manuscripts for submission to a journal.

Actually many grant agencies do exactly this and count the references in the page limit - it of course makes life difficult for reviewers, but is a fact of life for those of us applying to big agencies such as BBSRC and ERC. A method for compacting the references as suggestted earlier in this thread would be really useful.

I am also struggling to compress a grant proposal into a certain number of pages, and in doing so came across this thread.  Has anyone found a solution to this?

I am also struggling to compress a grant proposal into a certain number of pages, and in doing so came across this thread.  Has anyone found a solution to this?

Not automatically.

You could make the search and replace step before submission easier (after turning off CWYW or using the “convert the citations and bibliograph to plain text” and saving it as a copy) by putting a unique character or two (maybe &&) in the out put styles Bibliography layout “end each reference with:” - then your search an replace would be to replace ^p&& with nothing, or a space.  

Hi,

I am looking to do this, now on EndNote 7. Has there been any progress with implementing this? As the previous posters stated, many research councils count the bibliography within the page limit, so this would be very useful.

Many thanks,

Rachel

Not to my knowledge.  It would need to be put into suggestions forum, I suspect to gain any traction.  Not sure if it ever has.  Calrivate Analytics hasn’t really revealed their mechanisms for receiving or responding to  user input.