Sort references on start page Endnote Basic

By default, the references in MyEndnoteWeb are sorted by author, A-Z. If you want to change that, you have to click the appropriate sorting order in the drop-down list and wait for the page to reload.

I mostly want to see the list with the newest above (I wonder how many users want to see the list of their references with the author A-Z; that doesn’t make sense when browsing you references?) but there seems to be no way to save that preference as default, even not choosing that order and then bookmarking Endnote.

How to set ‘sort by added to library newest first’ as default?

Hello,

By default, the references are sorted differently depending on the style you choose. For example, JAMA (The Journal of American Medical Association), the references are sorted by order of appearance. The APA 6th is sorted by Author, then year.

If you download EndNote the desktop version, you would be able to edit the style and sort it differently.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Miguel Mendoza

Technical Support

Hello,

Sorry about that last response, I misread your entry. I reread it and can see that you are talking about the sort order for EndNote online.

There currently is not a way to sort any other way by default but we have entered your suggestion to our development team. We do apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Miguel Mendoza

Technical Support.

I agree with the question, it makes no sense to have a default sort order based on the alphabet when there is a search function that is more efficient. Conversely as the questioner said, there is a frequent and obvious need to go in and out of endnote and word while checking, adding and editing references, that requires quick access to the items just added to the library. Having to change the sort order every single time is extremely frustrating. As an endnote desktop user who is forced to use endnote web on other computers from time to time this is the biggest drawback and timewaster for me on an otherwise pretty seamless system.

Oh and the original question was posed in 2012. Its now 2021, so I guess there is no hope of having this resolved, which is a pity.