Sitemap | EndNote
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
New User
0 Kudos

Space between superscript citation and a word

Hello, 

I am wondering if I can remove the space between the superscript citation and a word. 

I think it is a natural space, but it does not look good for the superscript citation. 

For example, can I make the first sentence to the second sentence?

expression of genes 1,2. In doing so, DNA ~

expression of genes1,2. In doing so, DNA ~

I am using EndNote X9, and I went to Edit > Output Styles > Edit "Nature Genetics" > Citations > Templates.

However, it only shows below, and I also could not find the solution in Q and A. In addition, when I changed to other journal styles using superscript citations such as Lancet and Nature, the space remained. 

Citation

Bibliography Number

Citation - Author (Year)

Author Bibliography Number  

Multiple citation separator: ,

Please let me know. 

Thanks. 

Mentor
0 Kudos

Re: Space between superscript citation and a word

If you "convert citations and bibliography to unformated citations" and see a space infront of the curly bracket, you can do a search and replace the text " {"  (that is the spacecharacter-curly bracket) with only the curly bracket and then update, and it should make the space go away. --

This might be affected by Word settings and how you insert your citation.  In EndnoteX9, if I use the quotes, no spaces are inserted automatically, but if I use "^c, move to the word document and ^p, then the spaces are inserted.  To stop that from happening, you can change Word's behavior when you paste by turning off "Adjust sentence and word spacing automatically" (the menu window is shown in the attachment)

·         Word Open.

·         Click on FileOptionsAdvanced.

·         Under Cut, copy and paste group click on Settings.

·         Under Individual options uncheck the option for Adjust sentence and word spacing automatically and click Ok.

If there isn't a space in front of the curly bracket then the output style must have a space before the Bibliography number in the citation template itself, which would need to be edited, but it appears that isn't the case, from your message.   

(long time Endnote user)