Temporarily hide citations and references using CWYW

I am submitting a journal article that needs to be blinded for peer review. I need to ‘hide’ references that include my and my co-authors’ names, chaning them to ‘Author’ while the article is reviewed.

My preference would be to temporarily ‘hide’ them in the document rather than delete the citations and references and risk losing them as they will need to be included once the article is accepted - is this possible?

For the citations I have chosen ‘exclude author’ then typed Author which seems to work.

Is there a way I can ‘hide’ the references in the reference list?

Probably not easily – perhaps easier to just delete them when it comes time to submit – what a crazy requirement.  As if someone wouldn’t be able to figure out who the author is, if in the field.  

Thank you Leanne! Yes i’ve never seen it before as a requirement. I think I might just leave the reference list as is.

I find this requirement for double-blind review is quite common in my field, actually. I think it’s very valuable for avoiding racism/sexism, etc.

To do it, I duplicate publication entries in my Endnote library and then strip out the details and replace with “Authors.” Thus, in the text, it says things like:

feedback will be highly dependent on the problem domain (Authors, 2014; Graesser et al., 2018)

and down in References list at the end, it includes:

Authors (2014). Details omitted for double-blind reviewing.

Then after the paper is accepted, it’s not hard to swap those out for the real refs.

Stephen

I find this requirement for double-blind review is quite common in my field, actually. I think it’s very valuable for avoiding racism/sexism, etc.

To do it, I duplicate publication entries in my Endnote library and then strip out the details and replace with “Authors.” Thus, in the text, it says things like:

feedback will be highly dependent on the problem domain (Authors, 2014; Graesser et al., 2018)

and down in References list at the end, it includes:

Authors (2014). Details omitted for double-blind reviewing.

Then after the paper is accepted, it’s not hard to swap those out for the real refs.

Stephen

adding to my answer.  If you need to obscure all authors, not just your own,

Create a new output style, and you could easily replace the author field with Author (the preceding will replace with the word itself, rather than the field.  Do this in all the templates and in the citation template, and when submitting first remove field codes (otherwise the traveling library will still be in the document if you are worried about “hackers”.  – Then you just reformat at the end with the appropriate output style which puts back in the true author field.