Undo & Redo in Word won't work

Dear Forum, I might have missed something in the thousand page manual, but I don’t understand why the undo (ctrl+z) or redo functions in Word doesn’t work since I’ve started to use Endnote. It becomes kind of irritating to spend more time on troubleshouting when Endnote was supposed to save time… Sincerely Yours / Max

Versions of software and OS would allow other users like me to say - "oh your right " or “works for me!” In my case Windows XP, Word 2003, EndnoteX3 all work as expected the ctrlZ and ctrlY shortcuts work as they should.

I use Endnote X1, Windows Vista, Word 2007 on my laptop, but at the office I have Windows XP. However, none at none of these places will the undo/redo buttons function properly. Any hint on what I can do?

what about other keyboard shortcuts?  I found this in another forum. (P.S. this user reported only some other shortcuts didn’t work, but the fix restored them all).

Reset Word Shortcuts Here is how to reset the Word 2007 Shortcuts;
On the Tools menu, click Customize.
Click Keyboard.
In the Save changes in box, click the current document name or template (template: A file or files that contain the structure and tools for shaping such elements as the style and page layout of finished files. For example, Word templates can shape a single document, and FrontPage templates can shape an entire Web site.) that contains the shortcut key (shortcut key: A function key or key combination, such as F5 or CTRL+A, that you use to carry out a menu command. In contrast, an access key is a key combination, such as ALT+F, that moves the focus to a menu, command, or control.) assignments you want to restore.
Click Reset All.
Note Reset All removes your customized shortcut key assignments and restores the original Microsoft Word shortcut key assignments in the selected template or <ocument.

Note that you can also assign shortcuts in Word.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA010429651033.aspx
Message Edited by Leanne on 01-13-2010 10:23 AM

It is not that the short-cuts don’t work, it is the function of the undo/redu buttons itself that is not working. When looking at the downpointing arrow beside these button I can see whole list of edits made by EndnoteX associated with merey inserting one citation. When I try to undo each one of them, eventually something else written is changed without me being able to control it. Then it is impossible, for some uneqxplained reason, to undo those later edits in the order they were done. I have no problem with the short-cut per se, but with the function of undoing or redoing which are currently completely useless. This cannot be intended, right?

Yes, the fact that EN macros go thru several steps during the CWYW process can have this perhaps unexpected effect.  Hence you have hit the reason that many experienced EN users simply turn off CWYW and format documents at the end.  you can have similar complications when using tracked changes, as changing an intermediate reference, can “track” all references as having been changed. 

Again, I turn off the automated CWYW until the later stages of paper’s preparation.  CWYW might look more “polished” while writing, but at the end of the day - I will take simplicity over elegance any day of the week. 

These options can be changed in preferences for documents not yet started (all future manuscripts) and in the format paper/bibliography options on the third tab, for each existing already started manuscript. 

1 Like

Thanks for responding. Actually I talked with the telephone support in my country today, and your comment confirms what they told me. Indeed, one can manually format the citations once in a while during writing, if that means the undo/redo functions can be used more frequently. Let’s hope there are not too many other issues with Endnote tough… Today I met a senior colleague who was the first at our department using Endnote, and she said she simply stopped using it because of all the technical issues that arises which (according to her) did eventually not save time for her. I really hope my case is different… Thanks for your help, nonetheless. Sincerely / Max W

I really encourage you to dedicate some training time for using “CAYW” cite after you write mode, which is Leanne’s and also my favorite method of writing. I usually use just {ref}, {refs}, {ref, by Schwartz}, or {refs on apotosis/endothelial} as a place I want to insert references. They are just “prompts”. Then, I try to focus as much as possible on the content, context, readability, and accuracy. When I feel comfortable about the content, then I start replacing them with real endnote temporary inserts.

The reason I do this way, one is because my old habit, but also I develop this over the year to avoid “referencing distraction”. When I was updating my writing and references sentence-by-sentence, it was so easy to become obsessive to go to the article, check what’s written, or go to the child reference list from there, and lost my focus on writing, what I was thinking about the content I was writing.

When I first saw CWYW, I thought I can eliminate the “referencing distraction” by the smooth integration, but soon I found I was still distracted, because I had to go back and forth between the papers and my writing anyway. On top of that, if CWYW doesn’t work as expected (like the one you’re experiencing), it becomes mere distraction.

My CWYW works seamlessly, but I still turn it off. That’s because of this nature of the referencing job itself (besides “a bit buggy” features of Endnote or any kind of bibliography management software). I separate my reading time and writing time, just to maintain focus on each.

Message Edited by myoshigi on 01-14-2010 03:36 PM

Please use the English language when you comment and define ambiguous terms! What is “CAYW”? What do you mean by “prompts”? Do you mean that you write “prompts” with your keybord, not using Endnote, or that you insert unformatted citations? What do you mean by “replacing them with real endnote temporary inserts”? What on earth do you mean by “child reference”? Then you talk about separating “reading time” with “writing time”. What does this have to do with the issue of whether the undo/redu button works properly?

I’ve always written the citations by full, or at least a sufficient pinpoint citation, whenever writing on a piece since it is highly risky to leave that until later. You might not find the citation you previously read, so you better write it down in full at once. Any software that cannot handle this is useless, in my opinion.

Sincerely Yours / Max W

Oh, sorry, I was just talking about my personal preference in writing. CAYW (cite after you write) is just a jargon which only myself use against another Endnote jargon CWYW (cyte while you write). I thought it is relevant because using Endnote became an interruptive process for your writing. But, by turning off the CWYW, you can still use Endnote as a tool to maximize your writing efficiency. Then, I thought my method might help you. Unfortunately, I am not able to explain all the jargons I was trying to describe in the previous post, because doing so will be even more interruptive for your writing. So, please disregard my previous post.

Hopefully, this time my English made more sense.

Best regards,

Message Edited by myoshigi on 01-15-2010 04:14 AM

so the forum says this problem is solved and there is a link where you can go to the solution.  But clearly, the problem is not solved.

if you accidentally select and delete a secion of text containing a reference, endnote will work furiously to update your document, completely obliterating any ability to go back and hit “undo” and recover the deleted text.  This is a terrible flaw.  The non-solution being offered as a solution is to turn off cite while you write.  Clearly cite while you write is one of the main functions of endnote.  if advanced users learn to turn this feature off, the feature is broken and the problem has not been solved.  

Here’s an analogous situation that might make clear my complaint.  

If you contact your auto manufacturer to complain about flickering headlights, it would be terribly inappropriate if they said, we’ve solved this problem: “turn off your headlights and the flickering problem is solved”.  Sorry, this is not a solution to the problem.

You can try to use the Undo dropdown and go back many many steps.  The program is an addin and I don’t think that the addin can overcome the tracking system of Microsoft Word. 

I’m with Dougie

I am writing my doctoral thesis &  I have spent considerable time getting to grips with endnote to speed up the citation/referencing process.  I am spending so much time saving & resaving my chapters just in case a change that i make (cut/paste, undo/redo) becomes untraceable.   This is an absolute flaw in the system and is wasting as much time as endnote saves.  I’m no techy, so don’t understand the rational for its inclusion - but why on earth do endnote updates need to feature in undo/redo list at all???

BTW, scrolling down the undo list does not help endnote takes up the ENTIRE list, resulting in the piece of text you changed a matter of moments ago being consigned to the untraceable past -  GRRRRRR!

This is the way Microsoft Office handles this.  I don’t think Endnote developers can rewrite the Microsoft software? You could ask Microsoft to treat addin’s and macros differenently I guess? 

I may not have said this before, but turning off CWYW avoids this problem…

avoiding the problem is a sort of solution, but an unfortunate one.  By the turn-it-off-to-fix-the-problem-logic, not using endnote also avoids/solves the problem, right?

My intent is not to be a jerk about this, but rather to point out that this is a significant and ungoing flaw.  Those who shrug their shoulders and repeatedly suggest the solution is using “endnote-lite”, i.e. only basic endnote functions, are not helping.  

Blaming MS Word for the problem also seems inappropriate as endnote is not a MS product, though MS could solve the problem for endnote by allowing add-ins to bypass the undo/redo list.  Alternatively, an extremely long undo list would help considerably.  

Anybody aware of a registry edit or something similar that might allow one to lengthen the undo/redo list to several hundred lines?  

My most recent document, I got all the way up to revision L, i.e. a,b,c,…,L.  I’ve traded undo for cwyw and this is the only compromise that allows full endnote use while minimizing the cost of a loss.

Hi

This seems to be a corruption with the Normal.dotm file in my case (generic template used by Word). Either create a new Normal.dotm file to replace the exiting file or copy one from a working machine. You can delete or rename the old file.

This is stored C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

Also check your template directory e.g.

2007 > Office Button > advanced > under general/ file locations > ensure the user templates is pointing to a local directory on the machine (and not to a server location - you can still specify a server location for you work group template).

R Gray

this is definitely not a corrupted file problem, this is a problem with poorly designed software.  I’ve switched to zotero and its faster and it has not once deleted any of my precious (to me) work!  Unlike endnote, which unreoverably ate a paragraph or more now and then.

I agree that this is a terrible flaw.

I accidentally deleted a paragraph by tapping a word twice to highlight it and somehow the computer detected 3 taps, highlighted the whole paragraph and replaced it with the letter “c”.  I must have been touching my mouse pad with the edge of my wrist while I started typing the replacement word which started with c.

Anyway, I got most of my paragraph back by going to file>info>versions.  If you click “manage versions”, you will see the autosaved files word has been making for you every five minutes.  Open the most recent autosaved file, and copy your deleted text back from there.  This trick saved me about an hour of work.  Hope it works for others.

I agree that this is a terrible flaw.

I accidentally deleted a paragraph by tapping a word twice to highlight it and somehow the computer detected 3 taps, highlighted the whole paragraph and replaced it with the letter “c”.  I must have been touching my mouse pad with the edge of my wrist while I started typing the replacement word which started with c.

Anyway, I got most of my paragraph back by going to file>info>versions.  If you click “manage versions”, you will see the autosaved files word has been making for you every five minutes.  Open the most recent autosaved file, and copy your deleted text back from there.  This trick saved me about an hour of work.  Hope it works for others.