Sitemap | EndNote
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Regular

Re: NOT SOLVED!

so the forum says this problem is solved and there is a link where you can go to the solution.  But clearly, the problem is not solved.

if you accidentally select and delete a secion of text containing a reference, endnote will work furiously to update your document, completely obliterating any ability to go back and hit "undo" and recover the deleted text.  This is a terrible flaw.  The non-solution being offered as a solution is to turn off cite while you write.  Clearly cite while you write is one of the main functions of endnote.  if advanced users learn to turn this feature off, the feature is broken and the problem has not been solved.  

Here's an analogous situation that might make clear my complaint.  

If you contact your auto manufacturer to complain about flickering headlights, it would be terribly inappropriate if they said, we've solved this problem: "turn off your headlights and the flickering problem is solved".  Sorry, this is not a solution to the problem.

Highlighted
Mentor

You can try to use the Undo dropdown and go back many many steps.  The program is an addin and I don't think that the addin can overcome the tracking system of Microsoft Word. 

(long time Endnote user)
Highlighted
New User

I'm with Dougie

I am writing my doctoral thesis &  I have spent considerable time getting to grips with endnote to speed up the citation/referencing process.  I am spending so much time saving & resaving my chapters just in case a change that i make (cut/paste, undo/redo) becomes untraceable.   This is an absolute flaw in the system and is wasting as much time as endnote saves.  I'm no techy, so don't understand the rational for its inclusion - but why on earth do endnote updates need to feature in undo/redo list at all????????????

BTW, scrolling down the undo list does not help endnote takes up the ENTIRE list, resulting in the piece of text you changed a matter of moments ago being consigned to the untraceable past -  GRRRRRR!

Highlighted
Mentor

This is the way Microsoft Office handles this.  I don't think Endnote developers can rewrite the Microsoft software? You could ask Microsoft to treat addin's and macros differenently I guess? 

(long time Endnote user)
Highlighted
Mentor

I may not have said this before, but turning off CWYW avoids this problem...

(long time Endnote user)
Highlighted
Regular

avoiding the problem is a sort of solution, but an unfortunate one.  By the turn-it-off-to-fix-the-problem-logic, not using endnote also avoids/solves the problem, right?

My intent is not to be a jerk about this, but rather to point out that this is a significant and ungoing flaw.  Those who shrug their shoulders and repeatedly suggest the solution is using "endnote-lite", i.e. only basic endnote functions, are not helping.  

Blaming MS Word for the problem also seems inappropriate as endnote is not a MS product, though MS could solve the problem for endnote by allowing add-ins to bypass the undo/redo list.  Alternatively, an extremely long undo list would help considerably.  

Anybody aware of a registry edit or something similar that might allow one to lengthen the undo/redo list to several hundred lines?  

My most recent document, I got all the way up to revision L, i.e. a,b,c,....,L.  I've traded undo for cwyw and this is the only compromise that allows full endnote use while minimizing the cost of a loss.

Highlighted
Visitor

Hi

This seems to be a corruption with the Normal.dotm file in my case (generic template used by Word). Either create a new Normal.dotm file to replace the exiting file or copy one from a working machine. You can delete or rename the old file.

This is stored C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

Also check your template directory e.g.

2007 > Office Button > advanced > under general/ file locations > ensure the user templates is pointing to a local directory on the machine (and not to a server location - you can still specify a server location for you work group template).

R Gray

Highlighted
Regular

this is definitely not a corrupted file problem, this is a problem with poorly designed software.  I've switched to zotero and its faster and it has not once deleted any of my precious (to me) work!  Unlike endnote, which unreoverably ate a paragraph or more now and then.

Highlighted
New User

I agree that this is a terrible flaw.

I accidentally deleted a paragraph by tapping a word twice to highlight it and somehow the computer detected 3 taps, highlighted the whole paragraph and replaced it with the letter "c".  I must have been touching my mouse pad with the edge of my wrist while I started typing the replacement word which started with c.

Anyway, I got most of my paragraph back by going to file>info>versions.  If you click "manage versions", you will see the autosaved files word has been making for you every five minutes.  Open the most recent autosaved file, and copy your deleted text back from there.  This trick saved me about an hour of work.  Hope it works for others.

Highlighted
New User

I agree that this is a terrible flaw.

I accidentally deleted a paragraph by tapping a word twice to highlight it and somehow the computer detected 3 taps, highlighted the whole paragraph and replaced it with the letter "c".  I must have been touching my mouse pad with the edge of my wrist while I started typing the replacement word which started with c.

Anyway, I got most of my paragraph back by going to file>info>versions.  If you click "manage versions", you will see the autosaved files word has been making for you every five minutes.  Open the most recent autosaved file, and copy your deleted text back from there.  This trick saved me about an hour of work.  Hope it works for others.