Using same reference twice with different highliths

Hi everyone,

I have a question for you… Let’s say that I want to write 2 different papers. I will create 2 groups of references, one for each paper to keep the references organized.

Let’s also assume that to keep track of things, I highlight in the reference itself the copy that I am leveraging for the paper i am writting.

Should I use a same reference for my 2 different papers, but leveraging different section of copy for each. Is there a way for me to highlight one section of the reference in one group and highlight another section in the other group without creating duplicates and without having the highlited copy from one group showing in the other group?

Hope i’m clear,

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately, no – you’re not clear, especially by your use of the word “leveraging” in the context of writing a paper. If you have created two different groups of references, “one for each paper” then why are you concerned about tracking/comparing the two? If you’re trying to “weigh” the references used in one paper over the other (e.g. based on author’s reputation or time cited, for example) this seems to be a distraction from the quality of the paper. So your request seems puzzling but anyway is something Endnote and MS Word is incapable of doing in the way you have described.

If, however what you mean is you want to compare sections (to evaluate how the references are used) then it seems the only thing you can do is to use Word’s “Compare” function to compare both papers (or isolate a section from each paper as a new document to enable comparison).

Hi CrazyGecko,

thanks for the answer and sorry that i was not clear… let me try to explain better.

Let’s assume that i find a reference called “colors” that in page 1 says something like “Orange is a color” and in page 2 it says that “Red is a color”. Now let’s assume that I want to write 2 seperate papers, one on the color orange, another one on the color red.

The “orange” paper will cite the reference “Colors” when i’ll use it to support the fact that Orange is a color. Same for the separate “red” paper.

My question is: is there a way (maybe using groups) for me to have one copy of the reference “colors” that highlights “orange is a color”. And another copy (without being a duplicate) that highlights “Red is a color”.

Is this clearer?

Sorry if that’s confusing, i realize this is a weird example but that’d be super helpful for the use i make of endnote.

Thanks

I am with CG.  I have NO idea what you are asking for.  Can you make a picture or drawing of what you are expecting to see?  I have a feelilng Endnote won’t be able to deliver though.  

The most helpful examples are ones which replicate what you are trying to accomplish. I’m afraid your “colors” example has gotten more abstract but with repeated readings of both examples I may have a better understanding (or not) of what you’re trying to do.

So, your original question is: “Is there a way for me to highlight one section of the reference in one group and highlight another section in the other group without creating duplicates and without having the highlited [sic] copy from one group showing in the other group?”

It seems you want Endnote to locate, identify, and highlight grouped references as they are being used in two separate papers. At this time Endnote is unable to perform this function as it requires automated “smart” actions which the developers would have to code and is beyond any user-based workarounds.