X7 Multiple authors same year

Hello,

I don’t know if anyone has asked this and hopefully, someone can help me. When I (Cite as you write) enter a reference for a different article - but same author, same year - I get the author’s initial first on the second reference, instead of the date with a letter to follow, for example:

1st reference is correct (APA 6)  (Cornforth, 2003)

2nd reference is incorrect (APA 6)  (C. Cornforth, 2003)   - the “C” is the initial - not the letter to follow the date.

I’m sure this is an easy fix, but I have been unable to find it.

I would certainly appreciate any help!

BB

It sounds like the Ambiguous Citations setting in the output style should have the “add a letter after year” option selected (see attached image). You can either edit the output style to check/include the “add a letter after year” option or go to the Endnote website and download/install a new APA output style.

Ambiguous Citations_, add a letter after the year.gif

Thank you. I did change this - unchecked the other boxes and just want the letter after the dates.  How do I update my document?

Thank you so much!

Click the “Update Citations and Bibliography” setting in the Endnote X7 In the MS Word ribbon.

Also  note that when you modify the output style for the 1st time the changes will be saved to a new file with the word Copy in the file name (e.g., APA 6th Copy). So, you’ll need to switch to the new output style file in order for any changes to take effect.

I wonder, though, whether the author is entered differently in each reference – in which case EndNote will treat them as different authors, and so not add the letters to the date.

Check to see that the author names are consistently entered into your EndNote library, including spacing and punctuation. The easiest way I’ve found to do this is to copy-and-paste the authors from one record into the other.

More about author consistency at http://endnote.com/kb/82224

Cheers

John

1 Like

Thank you. It took the last suggestions to actually make the correction but it worked. Copying the author name was a great suggestion. I have actually re-typed names even when they looked identical and made the correction but did not understand what was happening. Thanks again.

Hi there, 

I’m having little trouble getting my citation in the correct order. I’m citing (APA 6th) one author for the same year three times, but the in-text citation displays it in the incorrect order. For example, instead of giving me World Bank, 2015a, World Bank, 2015b and World Bank, 2015c in the text, Endnote, after citing the third one, starts with the letter c first, so 2015c, 2015b and 2015a. 

I’m using Endnote X7 on a Mac, don’t know if that’s relevant information. I tried to solve the problem by checking all the suggestions in this community, but nothing worked out. 

Would really appreciate if anyone of you guys has a solution  

All the best!

Update of the problem: 

as I’m citing the same author for the same year a fourth time, the order now appears as: 2015b, 2015a, 2015c, 2015d. 

Any suggestion what the problem might be here? 

Cheers! 

Asked and answered in a new thread:  http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-How-To/Wrong-Citation-Order/m-p/126092#M22221