can endnote scan an old 80 page word document and import the existing 130 references already listed ?

I recommend to import databases “manually” from Pubmed again. Fortunately, JAMA format use Smith A style for author names, which is a Pubmed-compatible author format. So the author list will be the best to hit single article in Pubmed, although fewer authors may hit more than ten or even more. Just copy & paste authors from your biliography, and try search to see how many you hit. It’s probably very easy to find what you want in the search results. But, some of them may not be listed in Pubmed (like book chapter references), for which you need to type manually, and need to learn what specifically Endnote requires for manual data entry (e.g. Author needs to be typed Smith, A. format).

There are several ways to import Pubmed data to Endnote: downloading text information and use import command (MEDLINE filters), or use online search feature in newer versions (you need to be careful to use X2 without patch).

Re-importing from Pubmed will eliminate your “minor typos” came from manual typing, and make correct Endnote entries. I would say importing 130 references wouldn’t be that bad, and good time investment for future projects. It would be bad if you have already 3000 manual entries. Once you have correct database entries, you can re-format your document JAMA, APS, ACS, whatever the styles you want.

In terms of “automatic scan” function you are asking, my answer is No. You could edit your manually typed references by adding tags for each field (author, title, journal, etc) and import them into Endnote by filter, but it would take much longer time to develop such tags and filters if you are new to Endnote.

good luck

Message Edited by myoshigi on 11-10-2008 07:57 AM