can endnote scan an old 80 page word document and import the existing 130 references already listed ?

I once had a colleague who everytime they sent me back my endnoted paper, had unlinked the fields.  and they used endnote!  This happened 3 times despite my entreaties to stop doing it.  The final paper still needed to be tweaked for submission, and they were numbered, so… I converted the numbers to #number in curley brackets, and dragged and dropped the records from one library to the next, in order.  Then with that library I formatted the paper, and it worked.  130 is a lot to attempt to do that with though, if they are in order of appearance (which JAMA is, I see).  If they were by alpha, it would be a lot easier.  If the library is sorted alphabetically, and only the 130 are showing, dragging them into another library would do the trick. 

Another trick is to put the number used in that paper, in the label field, and then use the label field as the citation marker (this can be changed by Edit>preferences-temporary citation and ticking the box- use field instead of record number). 

All this depends on first having a library of  the references, which as others have suggested, is much easier to get, by retrieving  them  from pubmed, when available.  This is much better than following the instruction to convert a hand-formatted reference list into an importable file, as described in the EN PDF manual, particularly if they have minor errors.