footnote begins with "see for the following"

Hello,

For indirect citations I have to add a “see for the following” in the beginning of my footnote before the short form of my reference. But when I use a direct citation there should be nothing before the short form of my reference.

How can I solve this issue? To add a “see for the following” in the template does not work as I sometimes use direct citations.

Could you give an example? “See for the following” doesn’t really make sense in English, and I can’t figure out what it is you’re trying to accomplish exactly.

I think there are two ways.  I believe you type what you want in the footnote and then insert your citation from EndNote into the footnote. You should also be able to use the “prefix” field in Edit citation: more including the space and any punctuation.   

@Leane

but there is no more efficient way?

What make this inefficient?  Typing four words in?  

The other option is to create a completely new reference type for the “indirect” ones, and templates for them, with the “see following for (for what, a review?)”

As Oisiiin  - we really don’t understand the context of what you are planning to write and where.  are you citing one reference but you only read it about it in a review and not the original source, so you want to cite the review?  do you want to cite both the original and the indirect source?  or just the indirect source?  Can you get an exact example of what you want to appear in the footnote and is there a separate bibliography?  Where do you intend to publish and do they allow indirect sources?  

I have to put the “See for the following” before every indirect reference.

Indirect reference: Taking the idea of an author’s quote and putting it into your own words while still giving credit to the author.

And of course, there will be a seperate bibliography

Example in my footnote:

^1 See for the following Smith (2020), p. 220.

So you’re looking for a simpler way to add some text that shows what relation the citation has to the surrounding text, basically?

That’s not really part of the citation itself – it’s part of your text, not the source you’re quoting. For one thing, it changes based on what you want to say: the standard formula is “for [some topic], see Smith (2020)”, but [some topic] varies a lot. The actual phrase you’re using, “see for the following”, is not one that’s in common use in English – I’ve never seen it, and it sounds very unnatural. It also requires that you quote the author before describing the concept you’re abstracting from their work, which is backwards from how it’s usually done.

Normally, you’d write something like, “For the hypothesis that a small population of Neanderthals survived in two caves in Weston-Super-Mare until the mid-eighteenth century, see [or cf.] Smith (2020)” – but only Smith (2020 would be your citation. The rest is just text.

If the precise phrasing “see for the following” (strange as it is) is something you’re required to write verbatim before every citation where you point the reader to someone else’s ideas, I can see why you’d want a separate citation type just for that, similar to how there’s {Smith, 2020} for Smith 2020 and {Smith, 2020@@author-year} for Smith (2020) – you’d want something like {Smith, 2020@@compare} that would yield See for the following Smith (2020.

Unfortunately, I don’t think there is any way to do that. As far as I know, @author-year is the only other citation type there is, as well as @hidden (which then appears only in the bibliography) and I think there’s an @exclude-author or something like that as well. But @author-year is the only one you can configure in EndNote.

Well, I googled the phrase and it does seem to show up in a few footnotes – Like on this wiki page and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novel  and here   https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09592290802096380 

so it is a convention I guess.  But it is still easier to insert the footnote and type this text (you can even set up a shortcut) and then insert your citation.  

You made me curious, and I’m now more convinced than ever that it’s not a convention and not actually English.

The TandF link you gave is written by a German guy. Going through the (long!) revision history of the Wikipedia articles, it seems two notes have been added with that wording (one since removed again), both by user Olaf Simons, who’s also German. The only other places I could find it used at all are three articles (one, two, three) which are also all written by Germans.

So overall, this looks very much like a Germanism, although I’m not sure what German phrase could be behind it – sehe für das folgend (or whatever exactly proper German grammar would dictate) doesn’t sound to me like it makes more sense than its English counterpart. Though I may be wrong about that; my German isn’t particularly good.