forced separation

Hi,

I just wanted to add a forced seperation to my Journal Bibliography Template and I used

Author (Year): Title, in: Journal, Vol. Volume|: Issue|, p. Pages

if there is no issue given. So that worked fine. But I also want to add a seperation for the case that no pages are given, so I used

Author (Year): Title, in: Journal, Vol. Volume|: Issue|, p. Pages|

but that does not work for the pages. How do I get that to work?

Nick

Message Edited by Kopernikus79 on 11-18-2008 06:42 AM

Message Edited by Kopernikus79 on 11-18-2008 06:45 AM

I’m not sure what do you mean by “that does not work”, but I just guess you don’t want p. in the output if Pages is empty.

Use “Link Adjacent Text” to link between p.  and Pages field. If Pages is empty, p. won’t appear in the output, but the comma before p. will appear if you use “regular space” between the comma and p.

If you don’t want the comma to appear when Pages is empty, use “Link Adjacent Text” before p. again.

In your first template, you probably had “Link adjacent Text” between Issue and the colon before Issue. If it was regular space, the colon was in the output no matter what. So, check the difference between regular space and “Link adjacent text” which is also called non-breaking space. Regular space appears like a dot, whereas non-breaking space appears like a diamond in the template definition.

Forced separation is used when you don’t want some texts or punctuation dissapear depending on the entry of the “preceeding” field. So, for example, next template is just one modification from your second one at the end of the template.

Author (Year): Title, in: Journal, Vol. Volume|: Issue|, p. Pages|.

In this template, the period after the forced separation appears in the output no matter what the Pages is empty or not.

Does this make sense?

Well, I used

because sometimes there is no issue in one of my journals so I would like to Endnote know that if there is no issue there should not be one in the bibliography (e.g. if I would not force separation there would be: Darwin, Charles (1961): The Evolution, in: Biology Today, Vol 12: , p. 112-144). That kind of separation works fine, if there is no issue in the file there is no one in my bibliography. So that’s why I want to use a second seperator for the pages if there are none in my database.And using

Author (Year): Title, in: Journal, Vol. Volume|: Issue|, p. Pages|

does not work. Maybe it’s the “dot” at the end I do not want to use in my bibliography Endnote has problems with?

Message Edited by Kopernikus79 on 11-18-2008 07:50 AM

Again, forced separator is used to break the dependence, not to create the dependence.

I’m not sure about “that does not work”. It does not work because of what?

Maybe I should explain what I want, maybe I’m wrong doing it with separators. I have the following entry:

Author: Darwin, Charles

Year: 1961

Titel: The Evolution

Journal: Biology Today

Volume: 3

Issue: 2

Pages: 112-144

Using the following template for Journal Articel bibliography:

Author (Year): Title, in: Journal, Vol. Volume:Issue, p. Pages

produces: Darwin, Charles (1961): The Evolution, in: Biology Today, Vol. 3:2 , p. 112-144

If there would be no issue, the output would be: Darwin, Charles (1961): The Evolution, in: Biology Today, Vol. 3: , p. 112-144

As you can see there is nothing behind the volume number. To work with that I use:

which produces: Darwin, Charles (1961): The Evolution, in: Biology Today, Vol. 3 , p. 112-144

That’s nice and I also want to do the separation if there is no issue and no page number, but using

Author (Year): Title, in: Journal, Vol. Volume|: Issue|, S. Pages|

does not work because the output is: Darwin, Charles (1961): The Evolution, in: Biology Today, Vol. 3, p.

As you can see there is a “p” but I do not want it there.

Hope that helps.

Put some “link adjacent text” symbols around the p for pages (both between the comma and the p and after the period.  While the break works sometimes, when there are more than one space, it doesn’t seem to “isolate” everything in between, in the way you might expect. 

Yes, the function you want is “Link Adjacent Text”, not “Forced Separation”.

That’s how I did and it does not work

Author (Year): Title, in: Journal, Vol. Volume|:Issue|*,*p*. Pages

I used tu put an link adjacent for every * you see above.

Message Edited by Kopernikus79 on 11-18-2008 09:22 AM

Message Edited by Kopernikus79 on 11-18-2008 09:39 AM

The place you put “Link Adjacent Text” needs to be right before the Pages, to make other texts (S. and comma) dependent on the Pages entry.

Try:

Author (Year): Title, in: Journal, Vol. Volume|:Issue|,*S.*Pages

* being “Link Adjacent Text”

The output will not have S. if Pages is empty. Comma also won’t appear.

Did not work. Still shows me: "Vol. 3, p. "

Are you sure there is no “regular space” between S. and Pages?

There should be only non-breaking space (Link Adjacent Text code) before Pages.

attach your style and we can look at it.

Indeed there ware some spaces, now it works. But because there is some other minor problem, I sent you mystyle. I just want it to like like Vol. 17 (2) but it is always shown as Vol. 17 ( 2) so with a space before the 2. Maybe you can help me again.

Politik.ens (13.7 KB)

Your attached style didn’t look like updated with non-breaking space, but this is probably what you want.

Author (Year): Title, in: Journal, Vol. Volume|*(Issue)|,*p.*Pages

* is Link adjacent text.

* before (Issue) can be regular space. The regular space that is next to the parenthesis is dependent on Issue.

Thank you. But why is there a space in my bibliography before my issue

3 ( 2) instead of 3 (2) ?

Is that by default und unchangable?

-Nick

The style you attached, Politik.ens didn’t have the parenthesis around Issue field, so I cannot tell.

My guess is there was a regular space accidentally typed after Issue, but that’s only my guess.

If you attach the style which exactly gave you the result 3 ( 2), I can take a look at. But please check first if there is a regular space before Issue. It is really a tiny dot sometimes very hard to see on the screen.

There really was a small dot. So thank you all for your help.

Nick

Just a thought… Maybe in fact the Pages field only looks to be empty. Perhaps there is a space entered into it. That has confused me on one other occasion.