how to modify record number in endnote

Leanne,

That approach seems like a reasonable method, but leaves me concerned.  Since Endnote is essentially a database, and the reference number is the one absolutely unique field within the record, why wouldn’t this key field sync between Endnote and Endnote Web?  

I’m working between two different desktops (the cost of being a doctoral student and a full time worker) and I’ve tried everything to ensure that sync is constant so that record numbers stay the same in both places (app always running on both machines with 15 min syncs). Even with such a robust setup, it only takes a couple of days for things to be out of whack–things that are sync’d up to the web from one computer appear to be pulled back down in a different order, and thus a batch of adds on one machine are mixed up on the other.

The record number, it seems to me based on my training in database management, is THE ONE field that is most important, and yet it is the one that isn’t sync’d.  This completely baffles me.

I guess I’ll experiment with your solution as it seems like it might work, but it also looks like extra work since I then have to ensure that every record has whichever of these fields I chose to use.

Eric

1 Like