how to modify record number in endnote

Hello

I fully fully fully agree. nowadays with features allowing syncing as well as cloud computing, I have many devices. However, since it happens to me once, I am so afraid of unformatting my text and using another computer, so that I don’t do it anymore. Even traveling libraries doesn’t help. My libraries are sync between 2 computers using Endnote online, But i never use the second computer to add new references because I Know that the record number won’t be the same. If for a reason or another I have to reformat the doc, I am quite sure to have conflicts and worse, to have Endote updating the new reference wit the record of my main library resulting in a total new reference and irrelevant reference. 

In order to circumvent this problem I have change in the pref the temporary citations from record number to accession number in both libraries. The problem is to fill up this field manually with a unique identifier. But then if you unformat the record will no longer appear but the accession number. It will help avoiding mixing up with references. 

Hope this help but it is not convenient. Developers must change this behavior of Endnote!

Flav

1 Like