how to show what groups a given reference is in?

I have several hundred citations. I want each of them to be in two groups. All of them are in at least one group, but I don’t know which ones are in only one group. Is there any way for me to find out which groups are associated with a given reference? I think I am using Endnote X5.

Thanks!

If your references have been presorted into groups you could add a custom field to each (or applicable) reference type template then use EndNote’s “Change Field” feature to label which group(s) are affiliated with the corresponding reference. Then change the library’s display to enable showing the custom field revealing the group(s).  [See image 3 for final result.]

Procedure:

Step 1. (See image 1, left side). Add a custom field (e.g., “Group ID”) to each reference type.  [Go to the EndNote toolbar, select Edit > Preferences > Reference Types > Modify Reference Types.] This example illustrates modifying the Journal Article template by customizing the “Custom 8” field and naming it “Group ID” although you may give it a different name. This custom field will be used to identify which group (i.e., Group 1, Group 2) is associated with each reference. Note that if you need to consistently use the same custom field (i.e., “8”) across reference types so check that Custom 8 isn’t in use for other reference types (e.g. Books, Book Section, etc.).

Step 2. (See image 1, right-side). Modify the library displayed fields to display the custom field (“Group ID”) - note that you will need to select the generic field name (Custom 8). [Go to the EndNote toolbar, select Edit > Preferences > Display Fields.]  

Step 3. (See image 2, top). From the EndNote library select all the references in Group 1 and use EndNote’s “Change Fields” function to change Custom 8 (“Group ID”) by inserting the phrase “Group  1” in the field.  Click OK when done.

Step 4. (See image 2, bottom). ). From the EndNote library select all the references in Group 2 and use EndNote’s “Change Fields” function to change Custom 8 (“Group ID”) by inserting the phrase “Group  2” in the field. Click OK when done.

The assigned group for each reference is displayed in the library window (see Image 3).

This works well for the refs already sorted into Groups. However, when I add a reference to Group 1 from Group 2,  the Group 2 ID is not added to its field (although the Group 1 ID goes with it). Also, new refs added to an existing Group will not be given the Group’s ID automatically. Is there any way to add the Group ID automatically when refs are added to a given group?

My recommended variation is to do the below to get the keywords into preexisting groups, but once this is done, create the new smart groups and jetison the originals. 

For a new record, add the “keyword or words” to the record, and then the record will be added to the appropriate smart group that was created based on that keyword.  Records with multiple keywords would be added to its individual smart groups. 

Right click on a reference and choose “Record Summary…”  The pop-up window has a “Custom and Smart-groups” field that lists all the groups.  This works in EndNote X2 to X7 (current version).

Hello, 

Sorry for bringing up this old post. I have the same request as the initiator of this topic. However what I would like to see in the new created field is the name of the group itself. As in the 3rd image of this reply instead of Group 1 and group 2 I woul like to see the actual name of this group (for the same 3rd image it was posted the names are npg1 and npg2).

@ccipp wrote:

Hello, 

Sorry for bringing up this old post. I have the same request as the initiator of this topic. However what I would like to see in the new created field is the name of the group itself. As in the 3rd image of this reply instead of Group 1 and group 2 I woul like to see the actual name of this group (for the same 3rd image it was posted the names are npg1 and npg2).

To make it easier to follow just modify the given instructions by replacing the “Group 1”, “Group 2” designators with the “actual name of the group”. So in the instructions “Group 1” is replaced with “npg1”, and “Group 2” is replaced with “npg2”. Then just follow the modified instructions.

Modified Instructions from prior posting  (Note: Assumes the 2 groups are named npg1 and npg2 although they don’t have to be.)

Step 1. (See image 1, left side). Add a custom field (e.g., “Group ID”) to each reference type.  [Go to the EndNote toolbar, select Edit > Preferences > Reference Types > Modify Reference Types.] This example illustrates modifying the Journal Article template by customizing the “Custom 8” field and naming it “Group ID” although you may give it a different name. This custom field will be used to identify which group (i.e., Group 1, Group 2  npg1 and npg2) is associated with each reference. Note that if you need to consistently use the same custom field (i.e., “8”) across reference types so check that Custom 8 isn’t in use for other reference types (e.g. Books, Book Section, etc.).

Step 2. (See image 1, right-side). Modify the library displayed fields to display the custom field (“Group ID”) - note that you will need to select the generic field name (Custom 8). [Go to the EndNote toolbar, select Edit > Preferences > Display Fields.]  

Step 3. (See image 2, top). From the EndNote library select all the references in Group 1 npg1 and use EndNote’s “Change Fields” function to change Custom 8 (“Group ID”) by inserting the phrase “Group  1” “npg1” in the field.  Click OK when done.

Step 4. (See image 2, bottom). ). From the EndNote library select all the references in Group 2 npg2 and use EndNote’s “Change Fields” function to change Custom 8 (“Group ID”) by inserting the phrase “Group  2” npg2"in the field. Click OK when done.

The assigned group for each reference is displayed in the library window (see Image 3).

Can you explain in further detail how you would do this? When I go into “Create Smart Group” I’m unable to pick references in a specific group to add into them. I need to add other criteria (Figure 1.jpg).

Based on this post, I’ve uploaded screenshots of how we add labels at the moment (Figure 2). 

BUT does anyone know how this can be done automatically? For example, I have an “Anesthesia” group. 

I search online, find an article and right-click “Add to Anesthesia Group”

Can the Custom label then be applied automatically? I’ve attached an example of this problem in Figure 3

to combine groups, see image.  (this appears when you right click in the groups area of endnote on a PC anyway). 

what you describe in your images, is pretty much how I add keywords to a group of references.  Then I let the smart group settings add them to the group.  

I also create a “hard group” that isn’t smart to “freeze” them, as smart groups aren’t synced (updated Nov 2020, I do think you can now sync smart groups, optionally).  I drag and drop the whole group when the numbers don’t match, from the smart group to the regular group of the same name (although sometimes I include (smart) as part of smart group names – see image for example of that too).  

I appreciate all the responses here, but this is a BASIC piece of data that should be accessible just by right-clicking the headings of the main list and, along with, e.g., date, author, and title, one should be able to add “Group,” “Group Set,” and whatever the other options are. It is pathetic that this requires such machinations and that without doing so, the only way to see this data is to right-click a reference and choose “Record Summary.” Just add it to the allowed columns!

1 Like

I’ve got a method. I had 400 references. I had 5 sorted groups of these refs but had 425 total so some appeared in more than one group which I didn’t want. 

I changed my display to show Rating (Edit-Preferences-Display fields). I went to the first group and selected all the refs. I then right clicked and changed the Rating to 1 star for those references. (None of my refs had a rating). Then I looked the next group to see if it contained a ref with a rating. If it did, I sorted that ref or refs into the correct group, deleted from the wrong group. I repeated for each group. Then i returned to the All Documents list and removed the rating for all. Then I repeated this process for the next group. 

This issue has been addressed in the EndNote Knowledge Base.

Search for “Record Summary”

Prodedure:

Use the “Record Summary” option to find the groups to which a reference belongs:

• Right-click on a reference and choose “Record Summary”.
  • Or use the menu, “References>Record Summary”.

Displayed information

• Web of Science Times Cited:
  • Date Added:
  • Last Updated:
  • Fields Used:
  • Custom and Smart Groups:

NOTE: EndNote 20 only offers this function through the menu, “References>Record Summary”. There is no right-click option. 

1 Like