'n' dash rather than hyphen

How do I modify the Output Style so as to force Endnote to use an ‘n’ dash rather than a hyphen in page ranges for an article or book section? I can’t see, looking at the templates, which character I would have to modify.

I don’t think this is possible without actually editing each reference. I just posted a possible software improvement about this here.

A possible workaround involves disaggregating the single Page field  information into two fields:  Start Page and End Page.  Then it would be a matter of modifying the affected reference type templates (Journal Article, Book Section, etc.) by renaming two of the Custom or other unused fields to: Start Page, End Page.

The next and final step invovles modifying  the output style’s templates,  replacing the Pages field appearing in the template with:

Start PageEnd Page     

The result will be to automatically have the em-dash appear between the Start Page number and the End Page number.   

It seems like if you were going to do that you’d be better off just modifying the “Pages” field of every reference in your library to use an en dash instead of a hyphen.

Yes, it is tedious alternative.  My preference would be to alter the original references as you noted.  Depending upon the number of references involved, changing each hyphenated page entry might be manageable if a small number of entries are involved.  If a large number of entries need to be changed, exporting them into another program (e.g., Excel) having search and replace capabilities (another Produce Suggestion submitted by another user regarding EndNote) might be a faster method than individual changes.

WAIT!!! STOP!!!

You can totally do this in EndNote in about 5 seconds.

Go to edit < Change Text…

For “select a field…” choose “Pages”.

First box put a hyphen.

Second box put an ‘n’ dash.

Click OK.

This will change for ALL of your references. Time saved!!!

WAIT!!! STOP!!!

You can totally do this in EndNote in about 5 seconds.

Go to edit < Change Text…

For “select a field…” choose “Pages”.

First box put a hyphen.

Second box put an ‘n’ dash. (–)

Click OK.

This will change for ALL of your references. Time saved!!!

Hi john-phillips 

This sounds great, but where do I find the <Change Text> function you mention?  It’s not in my Edit tab (I’m using EndNote X7)

Thanks!
Judy

It is called Find and Replace in the PC’s  Endnote edit menu.