"1,2" but "1-3"?

How to make numbering like “1,2” but “1-3”, i.e. comma between two of citations and dash between three or more?

1. In EndNote, use the Edit menu to select Output Styles and then Open Style Manager.

2. Type the first few letters of the style you are using. Scroll to it, select it, and then click Edit.

3. Under Citations, click Templates. At the bottom of this window, find “multiple citation separator.” If you want it to look like (1,2) with no space after the comma, type a comma into the multiple citation separator box. If you wish a space, like (1, 2), please enter comma AND type a space in the box.

4. On the left, under Citations, click Numbering. Check the box to “Use ranges…”

5. Click File>Save As and save this style with a new name.

Set your document to the new style you just saved to see your changes.

Thanks for answer, but 1-2 is counted as range like 10-14 or 169-201. With settings you suggest, we will see situation:

texttexttexttext (1-2), texttexttext (3-5), texttexttext (2, 4), texttexttext (1-2, 4-5).

We need the same, but comma for range of two citations (n, n+1) ONLY and dashed range for more than two citations. Is any way to do this, except manual?

there is no way to accomplish this.  The endnote folks will want to know which publisher requires this. 

Ah, my apologes, I misunderstood your request. As usual, Leanne is correct. At this time there is no way to format in the way you are requesting.

As a work-around, I would suggest waiting until you are completely done working on your paper. Then, click on the EndNote toolbar in Word and go to Convert Citations and Bibliography>Convert to Plain Text. You will be prompted to save a new copy of the document. Save this and also your original somewhere safe, and then edit your references manually as needed.

**PLEASE NOTE** Removal of the field codes will permanently break the “link” between EndNote and the current copy of the paper. If after converting to text you need to further edit your references using your EndNote program, you will need to return to your original copy of your paper with the field codes intact.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Hello, evilweiss:

What style is it that you are using? Our Content team has contacted me to let me know they may have a way of achieving the formatting you need.

Hi, this problem still persists. I am formatting a manuscript for ACS Nano, which requires two citations to be separated by a comma, but more than two by a hyphen. Is there still no solution to this? This has got to be easy to program.

Hi, this problem still persists. I am formatting a manuscript for ACS Nano, which requires two citations to be separated by a comma, but more than two by a hyphen. Is there still no solution to this? This has got to be easy to program.

^ This

I got my paper accepted to ACS Nano but can’t figure out how to format consecuritive citations. Also default EndNote style contains further errors, such as not capitalizing titles.

^ This

I got my paper accepted to ACS Nano but can’t figure out how to format consecuritive citations. Also default EndNote style contains further errors, such as not capitalizing titles.

If by consecutive you mean order of appearance?  that is set in the output style

I would contact endnote tech support to follow up on Gill’s message that they may have a work-around (from 2013), if it is the dash you are worried about.  In my experience editorial staff can deal with the 1-2 to 1,2 conversion though.  

The journal title thing is probably due to the journal terms list containing incorrectly titled terms.  see the knowledgebase artile on journal terms list to rectify.    http://endnote.com/kb/82228 

what does this number 

what this number 1,2 and 1-3 how i dont understand