"Jumping" from a citation to the bibliography

I use EndNote X7.5 together with MS Word 2010 under Windows 7 64-bit for co-working on manuscripts for a variety of papers. I’ve noticed that in some documents, in-text citations work as links: when I clinck on them using Ctrl + left click, Word jumps to the appropriate reference in the bibliography list. In other Word documents this functionality appears to be absent, i. e., although the in-text citations and bibliography are updated automatically as usual, there is no link function for jumping from an in-text citation to the bibliography entry.

What does this depend on? Is this a function of Word or of EndNote? (How) can it be turned on and off?

Best,

Andreas

You can have that setting on or off for each document so in any document where you do not get links then you can use the following steps to turn it on. You would open the document you want to adjust then switch to EndNote. In EndNote, click on the Tools menu > Cite While You Write > Format Bibliography. On the Format Bibliography window, check “Link in-text citations to references in the bibliography” Click “OK”. If you wanted to turn it off. In EndNote, click on the Tools menu > Cite While You Write > Format Bibliography. On the Format Bibliography window, uncheck “Link in-text citations to references in the bibliography” Click “OK”. Let us know if you have any questions or if this does not resolve the issue.

Also when hyperlinking is enabled:

The “return” key strokes are Shift +F5 or Alt+Back arrow.  (PS – they only works right after jumping down)

I have exactly the same problem. I follow the instruction you mentioned. First as you said I open word document and then the other steps. However, after checking “Link in-text citations to references in the bibliography” once I click OK there is error: “Cannot be formatted because it is no longer open. Please choose another document.”. What should I do?

I have exactly the same problem. I follow the instruction you mentioned. First as you said I open word document and then the other steps. However, after checking “Link in-text citations to references in the bibliography” once I click OK there is error: “Cannot be formatted because it is no longer open. Please choose another document.”. What should I do?

Try changing to a different style, updating and then switching back.  

do you kow what the “return to the word text from the bibliography after jumpng to the bibliography” are on a macbook?  The keys you suggested are not working for me

I assume you tried the Option key instead of Alt?  

yes I tried the option key and teh shift option keys as alternatives to alt.