Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
New User

Re: "This library is currently being used by someone else. Try opening it again later"

So I've tried every hint possible, uninstalling and reinstalling EndNote, rebuilding my library, moving my library and recreating the data file.  It hangs with the spinning wheel or says the library is being used by another user every time.  I just upgraded to x8 for Mac this month.  Any other suggestions to try?

Smiley Frustrated

New User

Re: "This library is currently being used by someone else. Try opening it again later"

I have the same problem. Have had endless problems with Endnote since moving from PC to Mac.

I have built up my Endnote library for about 20 yr and have 19K references , many with my own notes, so this is mega for me.

I have managed to get the library back, but am getting sick and tired of this and think Clarivate need to sort it out. I think this the third time I have had to recreate the library in the past year.

Anyhow, here is what I do.

1. Create a new folder - this time I put it on the Home file, as suggested by Clarivate guy above - it does seem that the Cloud storage doesn't agree with Endnote.

2. Copy your .enl file, save it to the new folder and rename it.

3. I found I could then open the new, renamed version, but only after a warning that I'd lose all the pdfs, etc because I did not have the associated .Data files.

If you succeed in opening your renamed .enl this will create a new .Data folder.

I tried copying the original rdb, tdb and PDF folders into this, but then I got the error message again. So something in those is what is causing the problem.

For me this is not such a big deal, as I don't use the PDF option. I am sorry to have lost my personalised list of index codes, but I will press on and see if it might be possible to recreate them. But at least the 19K references are back.

Oh, and one more thing. If I then open the restored and renamed .enl file and try to sync, it explains it will merge with the last synced reference set. So I now have two copies of every reference. I did ultimately find a way to remove the duplicates, but this is a pain as well.

Hope someone else finds this useful

New User

Same problem with me..I can only open the fiel if I rename the data folder to something else. They need to fix this! I updated my mac OS today as well.

Every time there's an update everything gets messed up. So sick of it.

New User

I have followed your steps and you are right that desktop and documents folders are checked in chrome. However I get the following message (attached) when I uncheck them. I'm not sure whether I will lose things by unchecking the box, or if I need to do something to safeguard things. Also where is the go and home that you're suggesting?

Thanks for your help

Angela

New User

I have followed your steps and you are right that desktop and documents folders are checked in chrome. However I get the following scary message when I uncheck them.

if you continue items will be removed from the Desktop and the Documents folder on this Mac and will remain available in icloud ....

I'm not sure whether I will lose things by unchecking the box, or if I need to do something to safeguard things. Also where is the go and home that you're suggesting?

Thanks for your help

Ange1

New User

It helped to move the .enw file into a new folder, and open it in EndNote from the new folder placement.

Didn't need to rename, and the reference works fine.

Thank you for all tips in this thread!

New User

It helped to move the .enw file into a new folder, and open it in EndNote from the new folder placement.

Didn't need to rename, and the reference works fine.

Thank you for all tips in this thread!

New User

HI Guys, I had the same problem with my endnote after updating the OS.  I managed to get my library to open, with attachments and grouped as previous by just moving the endnote .enl and .data files from the cloud account onto my computer hardrive. the transfer seemed to take a couple of hours (8gb). Hope its this easy for others with the same problem.

New User

Thanks, it's help me too

New User

I want to pass on a good piece of advice  to solve this issue that I got from a Norwegian customer supporeter (thanks, Thorgrim) a few years back and that I just now checked (high Sierra + Endnote X8), is still working (with the same and other error messages indicating a corrupted library): 

Create a new folder

Move the .enw file into the folder, double-click it. 

If the enw.file is not currupted, it will open in Endnote, creating automatically a new data folder (with the subfolders PDF, rdb and tdb) - but of course without the PDF's of your old library.

Then copy the pdf's from your old library to the new PDF folder.