"This library is currently being used by someone else. Try opening it again later"

I have the same problem. Have had endless problems with Endnote since moving from PC to Mac.

I have built up my Endnote library for about 20 yr and have 19K references , many with my own notes, so this is mega for me.

I have managed to get the library back, but am getting sick and tired of this and think Clarivate need to sort it out. I think this the third time I have had to recreate the library in the past year.

Anyhow, here is what I do.

1. Create a new folder - this time I put it on the Home file, as suggested by Clarivate guy above - it does seem that the Cloud storage doesn’t agree with Endnote.

2. Copy your .enl file, save it to the new folder and rename it.

3. I found I could then open the new, renamed version, but only after a warning that I’d lose all the pdfs, etc because I did not have the associated .Data files.

If you succeed in opening your renamed .enl this will create a new .Data folder.

I tried copying the original rdb, tdb and PDF folders into this, but then I got the error message again. So something in those is what is causing the problem.

For me this is not such a big deal, as I don’t use the PDF option. I am sorry to have lost my personalised list of index codes, but I will press on and see if it might be possible to recreate them. But at least the 19K references are back.

Oh, and one more thing. If I then open the restored and renamed .enl file and try to sync, it explains it will merge with the last synced reference set. So I now have two copies of every reference. I did ultimately find a way to remove the duplicates, but this is a pain as well.

Hope someone else finds this useful