Sitemap | EndNote
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
New User

Re: "This library is currently being used by someone else. Try opening it again later"

Really? The one place where you want to put the library such that you always have it synchronized at all times cannot be used?

And no, it does not help! Moving the library endnote package to Desktop does not let the message go away.

And first, it complains about not being able to convert it the latest format. D'oh!

It's your format, and you cannot deal with it??

A BIG BIG letdown by Endnote. Unless you fix this for once and for all, I will have to start looking for another reference software. I cannot work if I need to reinstall software, reboot, recover libraries every 2 weeks. I'm not using Windoze, and certainly Endnote is currently at that low level of confidence and reliability.

Highlighted
New User

Re: "This library is currently being used by someone else. Try opening it again later"

Really? The one place where you want to keep the library to have it in sync at all computers cannot be used by Endnote??

Second, your "solution" doesn't work. Moving the Endnote package (.enlp) to the Desktop, did not make the "used by someone else" go away.

Third, Endnote 9.3.1 complains about not being able to convert an old library to the new format. ANY previous library.

That's YOUR format. Your file. Your fault.

Fourth, I cannot be working professionally if every two weeks I have to reinstall, reboot, recover library, rehope, and finally forget about actually USING Endnote for what it should do.

Fifth, "recover library" with 9.3.1 does not even recognize previous libraries.

In summary, you better fix this, for once and for all, because I cannot work like this, and I will have to start looking for an alternative reference manager software, which IS RELIABLE and works without issues. I'm not using Windoze, for a reason, and right now I'm feeling as if I were. Endnote has reached the low level of reliability and stability of Windoze.

Highlighted
New User

I wrote a long message and when I click Post. An error occurred. Endnote: please do better. As a paid software, your mesage board is painful to use too.

My situtation: computer had sudden restart. The .enl in BOX folder can't be opened after restart. "Restart" didn't work for me.

For this issue, my fix:

rename the old .enl file. The endnote will complain when you open the renamed .enl file saying no associated .Data. Just click [Open]. Endnote will establish a new one for you. But you lose lots of information (groups, terms, etc.).

Then, you copy the old PDF folder to the new .Data folder. You fixed PDF issue.

I found the issue is in rdb folder. I copied all the files but MISC.* files. The new .enl can be opened. But if I copied MISC.* files, the error came out again. If you have back up in Mac, you can try to get the previous version of MISC.* file. You might get your group back.

I wish Endnote as a paid software has a better solution here. I want my group info back. It is painful to reorganize hundreds of papers.

Highlighted
New User

The problem is solved.

The best solution: use the library recovery function. Everything is back. PDF and groups. I use Mac and my endnote version is 9.2. Haven't updated to 9.3 since there is compatibility issue with old version of library. I wish Endnote will solve this issue with new version.