server execution failed

I am using EndNote X8.1 (Bld 11010) on Windows 10 x64 with Word 2016.

Any time i try to insert a citation into my word document, a small windows pops up, which says “server execution failed”. if i close Endnote program and click insert citaiton in Word, Endnote starts up and works fine for while, and later i get “server execution failed” again and have to close the program again.

I also have antoher problem that might be related to teh frist one. Endnote does not open downloaded citations (.x.enw format also). When i download the citation file, click on it nothing happens. If i close EndNote and click on the file, it opens and imports the citation just fine. (EndNote is set to open these type of file by default, i have also tried right click on them open with and then EndNote and that did not do anything either if EndNote is open).

So, the bottom line is that i have to shut down endnote any time i want to insert a citation into word or import a new citation into endnote. very frustrating.

Can anyone help me to solve the problems?

I have tried the following: reinstalled word and endnote completely (delete, reboot, download new version from the official websites), but that did not change anything.

and have you called or contacted Tech Support?  www.endnote.com/support

I haven’t, but will try. Thank you for the suggestion

Here is the solution from the EndNote support in case someone else has the same problem:

1. Close EndNote and Word.
  2. Go to the following folder location: C:\Program Files (x86)\EndNote X8 (64-bit Windows)
  3. Right click on “EndNote.exe” and select properties.
  4. Click on the “Compatibility” tab and make sure “Run this program as an administrator” option is checked.
  5. Click on Apply and then OK to save the changes.
  6. Once this is done, go to the following folder location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16 (64-bit Windows)
  7. Right click on “WINWORD.EXE” and select properties.
  8. Click on the compatibility tab and make sure “Run this program as an administrator” option is checked.
  9. Click on Apply and then OK to save the changes.
  10. Restart EndNote and Word.

In my case step 1-5 solved the problem.

Hello,

Prior to this, I had the error message “this program requires elevation” when I tried to add a citation to my document. I suppose at that point, I was not running both programs as administrator.

Now, I am running both programs as administrator (by right-clicking on them and chossing “Run as administrator,” however the same error message of “server execution failed” occured.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am trying to finish my thesis, and this problem is slowing me down.

Best,

Kate

Thanks for your help.

I also had same “server execution failed” issue.

our solution helped me to fix the issue.