Sitemap | EndNote
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
User
Accepted Solution

why is smart group including refs/PDFs MISSING key criteria?

Hi,

I'm baffled with smart groups. On the surface they seem so simple; in practice, I have difficulty understanding how my library is creating groups based on the criteria I am setting.

For example, one smart group I've created SHOULD filter my library of references+attached PDFs+notes for any mentions of "prospect theory". I have attempted to use the operators "contains" and "is" to this end. The final result is a group that includes PDFs in which the term "prospect theory" is NOWHERE to be found. I am certain of this because when I attempt to find the term in the attached PDFs (in EndNote and in Adobe Reader), I simply can't. Yet, EndNote is routinely including articles that do not seem to meet criteria.

Why is this happening? Do I not understand how to use the operators correctly? I have experimented with them so many times and watched multiple tutorials, all to no avail. I'm really confused and discouraged on this point.

Mentor

Re: why is smart group including refs/PDFs MISSING key criteria?

Can you find prospect or theory (so it is finding prospect AND theory and not the phrase)?  I assume you tried the reference menu's "Go To" tool?  

I know that when I try a phrase search in online searches, it finds either term and not the phrase itself.  

(long time Endnote user)
Mentor

Re: why is smart group including refs/PDFs MISSING key criteria?

I usually do searches and if they work convert them to smart searches.  I also create searches to make groups and then combine the groups to get what I want in a final group.  

The "go to" (basically the find tool since ctrl F does something different in endnote) only works once you open a record.  I also don't now if it "goes to" the match in the PDF though...

(long time Endnote user)