Adding text to Bibliography Entrys

I would like to be able to add text/remarks to certain references in my bibliography.

In an output style that gives the author and/or year within the text, one has the option to add remarks like “see for example” or page numbers via “Edit and Manage Citations” using the “Prefix” and “Suffix” fields. However, I’m using a numbered output style, so the additional remarks would have to appear in the bibliography entry. So far, the only option I’ve found is to add them after turning off the field codes at the very end of the writing process – not the most elegant solution.

I’ve attached some examples. The remarks are highlighted in red.

Introduction  

Text text text text text.1 Text text text text2 text text3,4 text text text.

Synthetic Protocol for Compound A 5

Synthesis synthesis synthesis……

Notes and References

(1)        For comprehensive reviews on tris(phenolate) ligands, see: Licini, G.; Mba, M.; Zonta, C., Dalton Trans. 2009 , 5265-5277.

(2)        Notes ‘n’ such.

(3)        Hu, X.; Meyer, K., J. Organomet. Chem. 2005, 690, 5474-5484.

(4)        Lam, O. P.; Anthon, C.; Meyer, K., Dalton Trans. 2009 , 9677-9691, and references therein.

(5)        Synthetic procedure modified from literature: Abufarag, A.; Vahrenkamp, H., Inorg. Chem. 1995, 34, 3279-3284.

Those appear to be footnotes or endnotes rather than more conventional bibliographic references?  A footnote styles would be initiated with the insertion of a Word footnote, adding the text you want and the citation when needed and making sure the footnote templates are either defined in the footnote settings or that the footnote adopts the “bibliography” settings.  

You can add “notes” in a numbered bibliography, but they can’t be combined with cited references.  The alternative is finicky, and requires using custom fields and their incorporation with appropriate “link adjacent” and “separation” marks.  

Thanks for your reply.

So if I understood correctly this means, if I want to be able to add comments to my references, I need to do the whole bibliography another way?

Well, since this publication is quite done, I think I’ll go with the less elegant solution (remove field codes and make changes manually) rather than re-doing all the citations using Word Footnotes.

I still suggest adding this feature for future endnote releases.

That is exactly what the difference between footnote styles and conventional bibliographic styles is for… they are for “notes” in addition to the bibliography? 

Hi,

I want to do something similar to Sybil, using Endnote X7, but I couldn’t find any solution. I am grouping multiple references as letters under the same number, and I though that one possibility would be to create the notes as for instance “Figure” reference type. This could work if I could define such “Figure” to not be numbered as a reference. Do you know if inserting a reference without numbering it, or lettering in this case, is possible?

In this example, the sentence “Oxidation of organolithiums:” would be defined as “Figure” reference type and not counted as a reference in the bibliography.

(4) Oxidation of organolithiums: (a) Möller, M.; Husemann, M.; Boche, G. J. Organomet. Chem. 2001, 624, 47-52. (b) Weber, B. Synthesis 1999, 1999, 1593-1606. (c) Barluenga, J.; Foubelo, F.; Fañanás, F. J.; Yus, M. Tetrahedron 1989, 45, 2183-2192. 

Hi,

I want to do something similar to Sybil, using Endnote X7, but I couldn’t find any solution. I am grouping multiple references as letters under the same number, and I though that one possibility would be to create the notes as for instance “Figure” reference type. This could work if I could define such “Figure” to not be numbered as a reference. Do you know if inserting a reference without numbering it, or lettering in this case, is possible?

In this example, the sentence “Oxidation of organolithiums:” would be defined as “Figure” reference type and not counted as a reference in the bibliography.

(4) Oxidation of organolithiums: (a) Möller, M.; Husemann, M.; Boche, G. J. Organomet. Chem. 2001, 624, 47-52. (b) Weber, B. Synthesis 1999, 1999, 1593-1606. (c) Barluenga, J.; Foubelo, F.; Fañanás, F. J.; Yus, M. Tetrahedron 1989, 45, 2183-2192.