Bug report: Format citations in Endnote X8 switches markup display from smart markup to all markup on OSX Word 2016

I have Endnote X8 installed with Word 2016 on OSX.

I often view documents using “Smart Markup”.

When Endnote formats the citations in a document it switches the view from “Smart Markup” to “All Markup”.

This is a bug.

I understand that Endnote is perhaps doing something behind the scenes related to track changes, and needs to temporarily switch modes. I imagine that given that “smart markup” is a relatively new view in Word on OSX, that perhaps the code has not been updated to reflect this status and then restore the view to this state.

Endnote should record the actual markup view that was active prior to formatting references. I hope that in future versions of Endnote that this is corrected.

If anyone knows of a work around I would be happy to hear about it.

Can confirm this bug also exists with Endnote X7.7.1 w/ Word Mac 2016 15.35. Immensly frustrating bug that seems to have been around for some time now (reported here in 2016). Please fix ASAP!

Can confirm this bug also exists with Endnote X7.7.1 w/ Word Mac 2016 15.35. Immensly frustrating bug that seems to have been around for some time now (previously reported in 2016). Please fix ASAP!