Sitemap | EndNote
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor

Re: Disable "rating" in reference window

One further related gripe, the stupid rating field doesn't even disappear when "hide empty fields"??? Please issue a fix for this poorly designed feature

Visitor

I totally agree with removing this irritating feature. Sure, some users like this function; however, please at least provide an option to turn it off.

Honestly, X6 is a big disappointment. It is much slower than X5 and many new features are not practical at all. The worst point is a lot of functions cannot be cusmized, like PDF reader, rating etc.

I have been using EndNote for over 6 years and X6 is the most disppointed upadte for me. I already switched back to X5. Hopeully there will be some new imporvment in the X6 updates. 

Contributor

Have to agree with all comments above. The rating field is totally useless for me. Most of the fields should be optional and it should be the user who decides on what is necessary for his/her use.

I hope with the next version this will be removed or at least have the possibility to move it or turn it off.

abc
New User

Re: Disable "rating" in reference window (votes from any others this irritates?)

>Vote here!

+1

User

Add my voice to the dissenters on this one: I can't possibly imagine why I would want to rate references.  Please allow us the option to turn off this annoying and intrusive feature.  Thanks!

New User

Please give the option to disable and not view this silly feature.

Regular

I too find the "rating" field in the Reference window of v6 to be highly irritating. I also agree with other users that it is unfortunate that EndNote would impose this as the top line without any option to disable. It's one of those "what were they thinking?" details. Siskel and Ebert might be happy but serious scholarship is about research not ratings. The moderator offers the defense that "other users...have previously requested an option..." Fine, offer them the option but please don't impose it on everyone else.

New User

Dear Thomson Reuters,

If possible with immediate effect, please provide users an option to REMOVE/DISABLE/HIDE THE EXTREMELY ANNOYING "RATING" FIELD in EndNote X6 Reference Window.  If you can't, please at least allow it to be shifted to the bottom of the Reference window list.  This field, like the PDF attachment fields and tabs, is downright annoying for people who wish to use reference software as reference software, and not as an annoyingly market-pandering software-fanboy melange of all that's checklistable on sales brochures.

(Gripe: why the heck did you make the rating field a permanent item in poll position in the reference window?  Don't you do comprehensive end-user analysis any more?  Are customers just "money" to you, or something slightly better?  It's almost as if you're after the feature checklist-driven set and, by this, that you have forgotten your real customers' functional needs! /End Gripe)

Contributor

I need to have the first field for other information so have returned to using procite. Those of us using this type of software for data from clinical studies, working on systematic reviews etc need to be able to manipulate the fields to suit our needs otherwise we end up going back to using Access or Excel.

Regular

Re: Disable "rating" in reference window (votes from any others this irritates?)

I'm glad to find I'm not the only one who finds the Rating field annoying! I vote to enable suppression. And I have more complaints.

My company has been using EndNote for about 10 years. We use EndNote rather differently from the typical academic user. Our main corporate library has over 16,000 records, and we do not attach PDFs to EndNote. We have one person entering references into the master library, and use server scripts to create and distribute a copy of the library to each user when they log in every day.

We just upgraded from X2 to X6, and I’m very pleased with several new features—right-clicking for Author (year) format, hyperlinking between in-text citations and the reference list, and the “document library” group showing all references currently in an open document.

However, X6 is cluttered with new features that are not useful to us and quite distracting:

1          The “read/unread” feature, which displays references in bold until one opens the record, is visually distracting and very hard on the eyes. Do I really have to open up 16,000 existing references, some of which have been in our library FOREVER, just to unbold them? I discovered how to disable the feature, but not how to unbold all my references.

2          The library toolbar is cluttered with many buttons that my users will never use (particularly EndNote Web, which will not accommodate our large library), and the one button they DO use, Insert Citation, has become difficult to find. EndNote X2 had a button with a huge red arrow on it that you could see from across the room. I’d love the ability to customize that toolbar and remove some icons. And bring back the big red arrow, please!

3          I’m not all that impressed with Unfiled Groups, either; we’ve been using the Label field for years to connect references with their projects, and don’t really need any help there. We do have quite a few Smart Groups, and if I could remove Unfiled Groups, My Groups, and Find Full Text from the Groups pane I’d have room for more. Can the Groups pane be made more editable than it is?

Kay Hessemer

User in Seattle

Kay in Seattle