Sitemap | EndNote
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Duplicate check in Endnote X.2

For those with widescreen monitors, I have a addition to the above process that I find more efficient.

1.  Save a second copy of your library under a different name

2.  Open this copy, along with the original.  

3.  Use the "Windows" menu to tile the two libraries vertically.

4.  Use the method specified in Jason's post above in the copied library.

5.  Remove duplicates using the original library. 

This allows you to work with the original library, while maintaining the highlighted duplicates in the copied library, thereby eliminating the need to keep rehighlighting.

Guru
0 Kudos

Yes, that's another way to make sure which one of the duplicates to be deleted or to be left.

I still prefer the way it used to be, that is, duplicates showed up as "duplicates". It seemed the most intuitive thing for me, and didn't understand what was the reason to change that intuitive feature to the strange method in X2. I mean, who requested that change, and what was the rationale (just curious).

Anyway, I am still a strong believer; the older way is the way it should be. And if possible, "duplicated records" show up as a smart group such that I can monitor duplicates all the time, or just temporary "search results" of duplicated records but showing all the "duplicates", not "one of duplicates".

It just doesn't make sense, to delete duplicates, why I need to go: "sort library by title" > "find duplicates" > "click one of them" > "click All references" > "scroll up and down 1000s of records to find the one" > "open duplicated ones to make sure" > "go back and check another one"

I am actually using another machine that has Endnote X1, when I need to remove 20 or 30 duplicates from my master library. It's much faster and simpler.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Totally agree.  Plus, I really like your idea of having duplicates show up in a smart group.  Hopefully, someone from Endnote will read these suggestions.  
Guru
0 Kudos

We read all of the suggestions and are working on improvements to the "Find Duplicates" function for EndNote X3.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Contributor
0 Kudos

That’s good news! Thanks a lot to the EndNote team - I hope you find a good solution!

I have the following suggestions for improving the identification of duplicates:

At the moment, EndNote checks the whole field “Author” when performing a search in this field. The problem is that after importing references from different sources (Medline, Embase, Biosis etc.) there are often minor stylistic variations in the list of authors – and then EndNote is not able to identify the duplicates from the different sources. Checking just the first author’s name in combination with additional fields could lead to an improvement in sensitivity.

A similar problem occurs within the field “Pages”. Here too, EndNote is not able to find duplicates when there are stylistic variations (e.g., page 112-114 or 112-14). It might be an option just to check the first page number or to complete the second number.

Guru
0 Kudos

How about reducing stringency of duplicate check, by choosing just Title, and select "ignore punctuation" option?

You may hit something that are not duplicates (articles or book chapter with the same title), but you may pick up something you missed with stringent criteria.

In any case, current "find duplicate" which doesn't show "duplicates" is not good if many duplicates show up with less stringent criteria.